Third Party Press

Bayonet Question?

plymouthmauser

What is the correct bayonet for a 98a? Neither my WWI butcher blade, WWI Ersatz bayonet for my Gew88, nor my WWII K98k seem to fit correctly, although they all lock on the bayonet lug.

Looking for one for my matched '17 Erfurt.

T

The vast majority of Kar.98a are seen with Sg98/05 bayonets. Two examples to give you an idea to how they look attached. Awkward, but that is how they fit. Notice the sharpened blade on one picture. Not the standard for bayonet collectors, especially how crude it appears, but maybe some of those sharpened bayonets that look like a 11 year old did them are legit...

What is the correct bayonet for a 98a? Neither my WWI butcher blade, WWI Ersatz bayonet for my Gew88, nor my WWII K98k seem to fit correctly, although they all lock on the bayonet lug.

Looking for one for my matched '17 Erfurt.

T

Attachments

• 1SHR1.jpg
    1SHR1.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 33
  • 1HR0001.jpg
    1HR0001.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 1SHRaaa.jpg
    1SHRaaa.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 34
With the short length of the barrel past the bayonet lug, it makes seem so awkward. Well I guess my cof44 bayonet will look as good as anything...

Attachments

• DSCN4413.jpg
    DSCN4413.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN4414.jpg
    DSCN4414.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 19
What is the right muzzle cover for the Kar98a? I see one on the rifle to the left in picture 3. Looks like the Portuguese Mauser muzzle cover.

T

Last edited:
This is a 98a muzzle cover. No other seems to fit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 15
For the 1917 date Kar98Az would preffer a S98/05nA with flashguard, or a nice S84/98nA, certainly a 44cof with yugoslavian frog M1948 is not proper there. b.r.Andy

I ask in that I am starting WWII re-enacting as a junior sergeant, part of the 6th SS Eidelweiss Feldpolitzei. Of my rifles, this is one my options. I also have a Gew98M, depot modified VZ24, and DOT44 K98k. I have bayonets for the latter 3. Leaning towards the 98M.

T

Last edited:
I personally dont known about the mentioned units, but there exist 6.SS Gebirgs Division Nord, which is certainly partly equiped with G33/40 and Vz.24 depot pieces.
Feldpolizei could be from various units?
I dont known what the Gew98M means? M for modified?
b.r.Andy

RH shows the only 98a muzzle cover used, they cost around $100 for a decent one. Simson made some in the interwar period, usually e/6 or e/76 acceptance (waffenamt); some Imperials were refurbished also, some with Simson components.

Yes, the term, Gew.98M or Gewehr98 Modified came from an article Mark Wieringa wrote in the 1980's, he used a similar term (he also defined it as Ryan does here, the proper designation the Germans actually used), and it took hold on the early forums. Used less today, since Mike and Bruce's book came out, books usually set the standard if they are done well. They came to the conclusion it would be best to use a more formal label for the variation, not collectors slang.

For the reenacting purpose, why not a 98k? But if a 98a is more desirable, I would use the type III or the 98/05, either would be good for the upgraded G98 also.

98M is the name given by US collectors to the Gew98 updated with the flat rear sight (Gew98 mit s.S. visier).

Military Rifle Journal
Back