Third Party Press

BCD 42 opinions

bigwagon

This BCD 42 is posted locally for trade. Bolt mismatch, missing hood and cleaning rod. I asked if stock is matching numbers. How does the rest of it look?

0kzVKnZh.jpg

WKy4B2uh.jpg

zaSWfhph.jpg

YDt0aljh.jpg

Rft4keDh.jpg

67mzbxHh.jpg

Dx7QC7Vh.jpg

sfM5qz7h.jpg

OVPX2VPh.jpg

I don't see anything overtly wrong with it. The font on the holt handle seems a little off but maybe it's the angle/lighting. The stock should be numbered under the wrist. The rest of the numbers look fine to me but no pictures of the bands or bayonet lug et c.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It’s exciting when stuff like this pops up locally for sure! This rifles definitely been tinkered with in that who ever took it apart put the rear band on backwards, and the rear trigger guard screw is missing in addition to the bayonet lug. Probably just carelessness. From what I can tell it looks legitimate based on the photos provided however. I’d ask for more photos of the bands, rear site sn’s and butt plate. There should also be a serial number stamp under the hand guard that should be easy to access for the seller to get a picture of. Based on the current observations everything else is worth a more careful look before making a yes or no decision. I’ll let other members with more experience comment but there is an “a” block in the pic reference to look at.

Last edited:
Looks like a decent bolt m/m. Just needs those parts you mentioned replaced, the rear band flipped around and a good cleaning (wipe down of gunk). Are the bands numbered?

Thanks. This is why it pays to have extra sets of eyes on it. I totally missed the bayonet lug being missing! And now there is more to the story. After talking to the seller and looking at the photos again, I remembered that I had seen this one at a recent gun show and had spent a few minutes examining it. I did notice the missing rear guard screw then, and the backwards band. Seller says bands are number matching. IIRC, the dealer was asking $795 for it, now offering to trade, but that sets a price in my mind, probably a high one given the issues. I don't recall when I examined it in person seeing any external stock markings, either serial numbers or acceptance marks. I figured it should be at least marked in the barrel channel. How about the hand guard? As a newbie it's still really hard for me to judge stock condition.

As far as the stock goes behind the wrist there should be a number, and inside the handgaurd as well; however, I'd say just by looking at the stock the handgaurd matches the stock but I suppose there's only one way to find out. Here's a pic of the stock serial.20190615_161722.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Update

I saw this rifle again at another local show and ended up buying it for a decent price, much less than quoted above. The bandspring was a bear to get out, but once I got that removed, the good news is the stock and hand guard are matching numbers to the receiver and with the exception of the bolt and the missing bayonet lug, everything else is matching too, including the aforementioned bandspring. Semi-bad news is that the stock was duffle cut through the wrist diagonally just above the sling slot. :facepalm: It's got an old and very solid looking repair with a pin through the top of the comb. The bore is good and I replaced the missing rear guard screw. I actually found a "57" marked bayonet lug for sale online so I should probably snap that up. I'll post a few shots of the stock later.

Update #2. I replaced all the missing parts on this rifle over the past few weeks and took it to the range today. Put 10 rounds through it and it was right on point of aim at 50 yards. I didn't want to put too much stress on it in case the duffle cut repair was weak, but it's solid as a rock. I picked up a nice unmarked bayonet lug, cleaning rod and sight hood that all have closely matched finishes, so it's a pretty good looking rifle now.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back