Third Party Press

bnz45 5936T

Mike2994

I picked up this late Steyr a few months back from a good friend who had it in his collection for over 20 years and figured I'd share some photos. This examples bolt shroud is non-matching but I believe that this one is original to the rifle (was swapped in the factory to allow for the safety to work). The upper-handguard is numbered in a non-Steyr fashion, making it likely it was replaced. A big thanks to Farb for helping me with the bolt shroud and upper-handguard discrepancies.

The consecutive serial numbered example 5935T is listed in Vol. 3, if anyone here owns it PM me as I'd like to own that rifle as well.

IMG-9540 (2).jpgIMG-9541 (2).jpgIMG-9542 (2).jpgIMG-9543 (2).jpgIMG-9544 (2).jpgIMG-9545 (1).jpgIMG-9546 (1).jpgIMG-9548 (2).jpgIMG-9549 (2).jpgIMG-9550 (1).jpgIMG-9551 (1).jpgIMG-9552 (1).jpgIMG-9553 (2).jpgIMG-9743 (1).jpgIMG-9744 (1).jpg

Great example even with the blemishes, the mixed blue and phosphate fp and tg is cool along with the upside down proof on the receiver side. Solder on the SN and proofs is icing on the cake. Is that front sight post milled down at the back side?

Great example even with the blemishes, the mixed blue and phosphate fp and tg is cool along with the upside down proof on the receiver side. Solder on the SN and proofs is icing on the cake. Is that front sight post milled down at the back side?
It is indeed milled down

Very cool! Also you don't have a final acceptance proof on the top of the receiver I just noticed, a very late bnz45 indeed.

So what is "scrub walnut" ... as a "wood" guy, I need/want to better understand this. Clearly, walnut has heartwood with dark brn color, and sapwood that is quite light in color. Is scrub walnut sapwood?
Yes, colloquial term for sapwood....

Some of the reasons I came to love late Steyr is the large variety of 'errors', sloppy finishes or machining and missed stamps. Very neat to see some of these things.

Military Rifle Journal
Back