Third Party Press

Bolt mismatch bnz45 s-Block

Absolut

Collecting K98k rifles feels a bit like fighting with a Hydra .. for every rifle you sell you end up buying two instead. This seemed to be (one of the two) result(s) of this rule. While nothing really special, quite worn and (ab)used plus a bolt mismatch, I thought nevertheless worth sharing. It has this "been there, done that" look and pretty following all the rules (the few that are there on bnz rifles). Shallow bolt handle cutout, two digits on rear sight base and ladder, no other numbers. The mismatching bolt seems to be Steyr too, plus it has round gas holes. Is that one a SS contract bolt? Has a large V on the underside of the serial. Barrel is much nicer than the outer condition by the way.

Attachments

• bnz45_01.jpg
    bnz45_01.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 95
  • bnz45_02.jpg
    bnz45_02.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 113
  • bnz45_03.jpg
    bnz45_03.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 80
  • bnz45_04.jpg
    bnz45_04.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 74
  • bnz45_05.jpg
    bnz45_05.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 74
  • bnz45_06.jpg
    bnz45_06.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 72
  • bnz45_07.jpg
    bnz45_07.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 94
  • bnz45_08.jpg
    bnz45_08.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 126
  • bnz45_09.jpg
    bnz45_09.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 79
  • bnz45_10.jpg
    bnz45_10.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 85
Bolt body would be a reject or leftover from the VG5 program if it has a V under the root.

I would say it is a VK98 bolt, see if the gas shield is cut for the locking pin or the bolt body has the notch for disassembly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This doesn't strike me as a "been there, done that" rifle. More likely, post war neglect that led to its terrible condition IMO.

Bolt body would be a reject or leftover from the VG5 program if it has a V under the root.
It seems you are correct because...

I would say it is a VK98 bolt, see if the gas shield is cut for the locking pin or the bolt body has the notch for disassembly.
.. the bolt body has the notch for disassembly! No locking pin present!

So thanks for answering that, really cool to find a VK bolt in a bnz45 rifle! The bolt is extremely rough, looking at it again. It has some very uneven surfaces around the rear locking lug and the handle looks unlike anything I've ever seen with any other manufacturer.

Matt, this rifle does not come from an arsenal nor another country. It was in private hands since 45, most of this time hidden, but in the same family. Of course some of its condition is based upon poor storage (having to hide it away a longer time), but not all of that.

Can I ask, does this rifle have an Eagle H on the stock, or any other marking where the Eagle H might usually be?

Can I ask, does this rifle have an Eagle H on the stock, or any other marking where the Eagle H might usually be?
Sure you can, it is your forum, you can write whatever you want :laugh: . Kidding aside, I don't remember one so I would answer that with a no. Will check again later, just to make sure.

Sure you can, it is your forum, you can write whatever you want :laugh: . Kidding aside, I don't remember one so I would answer that with a no. Will check again later, just to make sure.

Lol. Smartass. [emoji23] I ask for a reason, sometimes you can’t pick up small details on stocks from photos like these. I can tell the stock isn’t sanded, so before I say my next interesting thing about it I want to make sure.

Lol. Smartass. [emoji23] I ask for a reason, sometimes you can’t pick up small details on stocks from photos like these. I can tell the stock isn’t sanded, so before I say my next interesting thing about it I want to make sure.
Back home from office, so just checked. If you hold it against the light you're able to make out the Eagle H stamped to the stock (without you asking again I would not had noticed this, took me some time to notice!). It is clearly unsanded stock, but very tough to make out. So, please now educate me - what would the fact if it had one or if it had none changed on this rifle?

Some bnz45 rifles have a “V” stamped instead of the Eagle H. I have photos of 1 but have heard of another. Some bnz45 rifles were delivered for Volkssturm units and I thought this may have a V or nothing at all. It’s not 100% clear that the Volkssturm bnz45 k98k’s were special marked.

Some bnz45 rifles have a “V” stamped instead of the Eagle H. I have photos of 1 but have heard of another. Some bnz45 rifles were delivered for Volkssturm units and I thought this may have a V or nothing at all. It’s not 100% clear that the Volkssturm bnz45 k98k’s were special marked.

That's fascinating to me! I've never seen or heard of a "V" in place of the Eagle "H".:thumbsup:

Here is a photo.

cf827dcfba3ab4d47377497872cef787.jpg

Geez Mike that looks like a gnarly piece of lumber. Is that rifle posted up anywhere or in the bible?

Very cool Mike.... may we see more of the rifle... letter block? ... receiver?

Attachments

• VVV.2.jpg
    VVV.2.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 30
Unfortunately, at the time I did not understand the significance of it and did not record the serial number of the rifle it come from. The stock was sold separate from the bolt mismatch rifle it came on - if I recall correctly it was an S block though.

Now that you mention it, I have an all matching bnz44 in the o-Block in KM configuration that for what I know does NOT have the Eagle H on the stock. Instead it has a tiny V S T stamp on the bottom heel of the stock, as well as the serial number stamped with the same dies to the right side of the stock. I'll check the stock again today, attached are the pictures of it that I took when I got it.

Attachments

• bnz44_01.jpg
    bnz44_01.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 22
  • bnz44_02.jpg
    bnz44_02.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 23
  • bnz44_03.jpg
    bnz44_03.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 28
  • bnz44_04.jpg
    bnz44_04.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 29
  • bnz44_05.jpg
    bnz44_05.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 36
  • bnz44_06.jpg
    bnz44_06.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 24
  • bnz44_07.jpg
    bnz44_07.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 22
  • bnz44_08.jpg
    bnz44_08.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 22
  • bnz44_09.jpg
    bnz44_09.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 37
  • bnz44_10.jpg
    bnz44_10.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 24
I’m not a big fan of the stock numbers and stamps myself.

Me neither, but I got it this way. I bought it from another forum member who had bought it from Styria. I however have no reason to doubt the authencity of this rifle. But your comments above reminded me of this rifle.

Military Rifle Journal
Back