Third Party Press

CE 41 Stock Damage

zacker

Hello, any opinions on damage to stock? The vet brung this back that way. There is a small hole on right side of stock, a hit to barrel where hole is, some metal shards in barrel channel, pic 4 is left side across from the hole a strip of wood gone. Stock is sanded and shellaced, notice the contract barrel the 1st 5 looks to be restamped with a 5 under it? Hood, rod and sling I added. Any opinions very gratefull.

Attachments

• k98ce41-4 Large Web view.jpg
    k98ce41-4 Large Web view.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 345
  • k98ce41-6 Large Web view.jpg
    k98ce41-6 Large Web view.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 363
  • k98ce41-7 Large Web view.jpg
    k98ce41-7 Large Web view.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 315
  • k98ce41-8 Large Web view.jpg
    k98ce41-8 Large Web view.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 301
  • k98ce41-2 Large Web view.jpg
    k98ce41-2 Large Web view.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 303
  • k98ce41-3 Large Web view.jpg
    k98ce41-3 Large Web view.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 273
  • k98ce41-9 Large Web view.jpg
    k98ce41-9 Large Web view.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 244
  • k98ce41-02 Large Web view.jpg
    k98ce41-02 Large Web view.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 255
  • k98ce41-o1 Large Web view.jpg
    k98ce41-o1 Large Web view.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 226
  • k98ce41-0 Large Web view.jpg
    k98ce41-0 Large Web view.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
Is it a bullet hit with shrapnel damage inside the wood??

Dont know, I had this gun around 6yrs, just recently took the stock off and noticed all this. What ever went into that hole caused a slight indent on the barrel as you can see in one of the pics, you can see pieces of deformed steel imbedded in the wood towards the front. Bullet, grenade shrapnel, dont know.

Last edited:
Looks like it could be shrapnel damage. Very interesting K98k you have there.

Thanks for posting it!

On the bottom of reciever the number 359 is stamped would that part be made by Walther? thanks
Looked the # up at Proof House.com inspector stamp # for Walther, so it must be.

Last edited:
On the bottom of reciever the number 359 is stamped would that part be made by Walther? thanks
Looked the # up at Proof House.com inspector stamp # for Walther, so it must be.

That's the inspection group for the Zehla-Mehlis area, where Walther was. It looks almost like a .22LR impact, round like that on the barrel. But it sure could be a shrapnel lick, and I wouldn't bet against it, particularly if there are metal shards in there. Are the metal shards steel (magnetic)?

Hello H.B., disassembled again to check if they are magnetic, they are not so that would rule out shrapnel. Now only a guess what happened to it. That hit to the barrel you can feel but does not go down deep. I been shooting it, not often, so guess it is still safe too shoot? Thanks for your time.

Very strange it would be a 22 hit. Maybe a 30 cal carbine round perhaps? I can't think of anything smaller from the allied side that could make that kind of hit.

Interesting rifle for sure.

Very strange it would be a 22 hit. Maybe a 30 cal carbine round perhaps? I can't think of anything smaller from the allied side that could make that kind of hit.

Interesting rifle for sure.

Maybe that vet shot his k98 by accident with the 22cal. ES 340 Mauser that he also brung back LO, I can see a GI weapon having a 22 hit. I have read a draft by a collector for his future book, it stated the Germens did snipe at GIs with 22s to wound though not a common practice, so as to slow down their supply routes with ambulance.

Last edited:
hole looks too big for a 22 round, but hard to tell with rifle not in hand. It does look like some kind of bullet jacket material.

Take some calipers and measure the size of the "dent" in the barrel. Is it a dent or a stamped marking??

hole looks too big for a 22 round, but hard to tell with rifle not in hand. It does look like some kind of bullet jacket material.

Take some calipers and measure the size of the "dent" in the barrel. Is it a dent or a stamped marking??

I don think it is a stamp, as the dent lines up perfect with the hole in stock, size of dent is 5.13mm the size of the hole in stock is 7.93mm

Also any idea on value? Everything is matching and stamped where it should be according to Law's book, except the hand guard which has the # 520 followed by a small 4, the stock is stamped matching with the date, there is a small 2 then n2 then 3 8 41 in the barrel channel.

Last edited:
I don think it is a stamp, as the dent lines up perfect with the hole in stock, size of dent is 5.13mm the size of the hole in stock is 7.93m

Also any idea on value? Everything is matching and stamped where it should be according to Law's book, except the hand guard which has the # 520 followed by a small 4, the stock is stamped matching with the date, there is a small 2 then n2 then 3 8 41 in the barrel channel.

I imagine the handguard was destroyed when the bullet hit it. The value is hard to say. The finish has been messed with which detracts a lot, the handguard does too but not as much as the finish. The damage decreases it as well but also adds intrigue. I would pay no more then a bolt mismatch for it because of the finish.

I don think it is a stamp, as the dent lines up perfect with the hole in stock, size of dent is 5.13mm the size of the hole in stock is 7.93mm

You got already some theories, looks like it could be shrapnel damage or hit with a .22lr... My theory is, it could be friendly fire or an accident with a 7,92x57IS, maybe out of another K98k. I think it wasn't a S.m.K. bullet, the hardened steel core would certainly cause more damage. Maybe it was a common S.m.E. bullet, they was produced with four different shape of the core tip, also a flat tip. The hard laminat stock can take a lot of energy and the soft-iron core with flat tip(bedded in lead) could make the 5.13mm dent in the barrel. When you look at the attached Polte pics and the measurements, it could suit.

Please take a photo of the stock marking, I would like to see it. I think it's not "n2", rather "Na 3 8 41" which means the marking is from 19. February 1941. By the way, your 98k has the Mod. 98 siderail marking, right?

In my opinion a beautiful Sauer, I like the look and the damage is interesting.

Best regards,
Stephan

Attachments

• S.m.K..jpg
    S.m.K..jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 23
  • S.m.E..jpg
    S.m.E..jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
A 22 bullet has no jacket material to leave behind, plus it would not dent the barrel like that, nor leave a entrance hole that large. I bet is was a bullet with a steel core. They are wrapped in lead so that would explain the size of the dent.

A 22 bullet has no jacket material to leave behind, plus it would not dent the barrel like that, nor leave a entrance hole that large. I bet is was a bullet with a steel core. They are wrapped in lead so that would explain the size of the dent.

I agree, likely a steel core round hit. The United States had them (black tip??) and it could produce the damage seen here.

I like your gun because it is undoubtably one that saw action and has the damage to prove it. You got a good deal.

Military Rifle Journal
Back