Third Party Press

Ersatz Bayonet with Unit Stamp

Very cool! I love the original green paint! I'm not sure if it is just the picture but did they also paint the frog as well?

Rick

Yes its a nice ASG88/98 bayonet from WW1,plus is the unit on untypical place stamped of spine of handle, i believe the frog is WW2 as secure strap was not used prior 1936, so the steel rivets speaks for timeframe 1941-45. I believe there is B.M.K.140 and some unknown stamp behind. Its a war time unit so its harder to deciphere as by prewar exact unit manuals. K could be Kompanie or Kolonne.

An interesting marking! Nothing even close to be found in Noll's book on Regimental Markings.

and one more explanation of the "BMK" abbreviation , from the book " German troops and Entente Intervention in southern Russia 1918-19"

Attachments

• abkurzung BMK.png
    abkurzung BMK.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 13
Hi
"B" is not ballon, in my opinion, as there are no single ballon units in the imperial German army. They were part of the Feldluftschiffer or Festungsluftschiffer units.
Luftschiffer units usually used "L" .
B.M.K. 140. could also stand for (Kgl.) Bayerische Munitions Kolonne Nr. 140
Very nice ASG 88/98 btw., but you need a propper brown frog.

When there is behind a additional number 9. of Weapon the easiest explanation as B.Munitions Kolonne nr.140. 9 . could be real.

Yes the explanation could be real, the company number is not there present, typical for wartime unit, different size of letters and not realised per 1909 manual. Same as using of Gew.88 with this would be real by ammunition supply units as second line units. The unproper frog i would remove from it as in 3R similar ASG88/98 were not used.

Military Rifle Journal
Back