Third Party Press

FG42 daylight photos.

pitfighter

Here are some pictures of the semi-auto (only) FG42 taken in the daylight.
This was assembled from a destroyed bring-back - the bolt, recoil buffer and op-rod as well as all of the internal trigger-parts and selector levers, and spring-steel-pin-holder had been lost to time.
Custom parts were created (USC 922r), and the gun is operable in Semi-automatic only.
Denial parts in the lower and upper receivers prevent original parts being exchanged, or open bolt operation.
The receiver re-weld scars are visible inside the receiver -

One magazine is original - Slj 01 - there are three "modern" SSD 20 round magazines and two SSD 10 round magazines.

The Zf4 scope is original and marked with an "L" - the caps and covers were bought here as original - the rubber is reproduction.
The scope mount is "modern" SSD and is the type specified for the GCY (Dietrich) factory rifles, a short run that was identical to the Krieghoff G type except for the scope mount - lol, it does not this Krieghoff, as SSD probably didn't have a GCY rifle to work from - but, it is an anachronism.

The wooden magazine crate is an original - it is missing the spacer boards - but the cuts are there.

The rubber muzzle cover - the jury is out on - it seems VERY clean and supple, compared to most of the muzzle MP44 covers I have - but who knows?

The bayonets are not in these pictures - I have an Estes Adams reproduction which is out with the MAS36 - we're using the Estes Adams to size the MAS46 - I like the aging on the MAS bayonet as it matches the rifle.

There are dummy-rounds in the magazine as the FG42 must not be dry fired - read it in the manual and the maintenance book - no joke.

The sling is from a Yugo M53 (it required no fitting) - I looked at the reproduction slings, "...would you hang an expensive rifle off one?..."

n1ZFEDdl.jpg

FRxVm5cl.jpg

u2U0J84l.jpg

TIjAKRUl.jpg

OY0yhZZl.jpg

hwXDd8Ql.jpg

ufOV7yXl.jpg

YFN0db5l.jpg

eu5sflHl.jpg

cFz8eD6l.jpg

zuGU5dPl.jpg

1azGvnEl.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks - the weather was right for some outdoor pics, sentimental keep sakes, lol.

It has to go, regrettably.

Of course, just when Estes Adams chooses to do another run of two-piece custom FG mounts - !
(I have been waiting patiently for the correct mount.)

Incredible! Thanks for sharing. Are you selling it Jesse? I remember seeing the parts kit on waf or? I can't imagine what it's worth complete and live!

Last edited:
What's the camo item in the magazine case that almost looks like a book?

Also, you're foolish if you sell it. You'll never find another.

What's the camo item in the magazine case that almost looks like a book?

Also, you're foolish if you sell it. You'll never find another.

The book is a well known one from 1942 - it chronicles in pictures the 1941 invasion of Crete, spearheaded as it were by the German Paratroopers.
The cover is Luftwaffe splinter camouflage - you can see the badge of the Fallschirmjager embossed into it.

Obviously pre-dates the FG42 - but, certainly the Crete campaign was instrumental in the Luftwaffe directive for a full sized (7,92x57mm) firing weapon that would not lie significantly larger than a K98 but compete with the fire-power of a Bren gun.
(The FG42 is the same length and about a pound heavier than a K98K.)
It was the long range target engagement in Crete that turned the Luftwaffe off the 7,9x33mm firing series of weapons, feeling that the intermediate cartridge might not be up to snuff - at least according to the well researched book, Death from Above.
*There was at least one 7,9x33mm FG42 according top the same book.

IvSdKfCl.jpg

EgmyJyRl.jpg

5uhLOB8l.jpg

xRwDDzIl.jpg

uia3sdul.jpg

Regarding selling the FG42 - I am testing the water -
I may have my eye on a rare something that has presented itself.

Last edited:
Quality setup and presentation, I'm really excited that at least some of these survived! All collectors even those not in the US must appreciate what the 2A and those who defend it, has done to preserve pieces of history.. Thank you for sharing what most of us can only ever dream of ever owning.

Sendt fra min G8141 med Tapatalk

That is a great looking rifle and accessory set! Sounds like you made a great save of what many would probably consider scrap. Does it operate reliably? Is it fairly accurate?

Awesome weapon and presentation. I actually got to examine and hold a live one a years back, that was pretty cool. Would have loved to fired it though.

Awesome setup, those 10 round "jump mags" are as rare as hens teeth, an you've got two. That's amazing.

For the sling, find yourself an Austrian STG58 sling and use the hardware from the M53. It would look more authentic.

CRH113 - the 10 round magazines are modern reproductions by SSD. I have not seen originals for the G-Pattern, only the E Pattern. Only the one 20 round magazine on the Zelt pocket is an original.

heavy_mech - The parts-kit was the single biggest buy I ever made (it cost more than my MP44's, MP40, Willy's Jeep, G41(m), G41(W)) - Hell, it cost more than any of my cars, lol. So, whoever might have considered it scrap, it certainly wasn't the seller.

mauser202 - The system requires considerable pressure to cycle as can be imagined. With modern Yugo it is fine. With blanks, the BFA has to be quite small to build requisite pressure, it will deform the brass up a little.

Wilhelm - the book is neat, there is one on Ebay presently - but they turn up cheaper, too - they were not afraid of a little propaganda.

Military Rifle Journal
Back