Third Party Press

G29/40

54,500 were made between 1940-1942, 38k in 1941.

Regarding serialing, I suspect they were numbered sequentially without rollover, the Polish marked receivers and raw forgings mixed (660/1940 marked) with little apparent order. (the Polish marked range through all blocks).
All G29/40 have “1940” dates or the original Polish dates (not dated to when German built), and the known high is in the mid-d block. Obviously they must have gone higher, or possibly rolled over at 0001 in 1942 when they made about 4k rifles and they would be mixed in with the earlier “no-blocks”.

Thanks to all folks. I have the rifle on hold and will pick it up this weekend. Hopefully, I will post photos later in the weekend.

This is what I found when I looked at home.

RC stock Flat BP Bo dated 3-26-40 (can't read the letter block)
'39 no letter.... E/623 Flat ( I need to take it apart)
'40 J block ........E/623 Flat ( I need to take it apart)
'41 no letter ......E/623 Cupped ( I need to take apart)
'41 E block ........E/77 Cupped ( I need to take apart)
'42 .....................(didn't look at this one yet)

I hope I can get some dates when I open them up.
The '41s have never been apart that I know of

Hello All,

any one else reading this there head must of blown up. as it looks like snipershot is talking about K98 660 1940 production rifles, while the thread is about G29/40 rifles?? my highest of d (D) 3084 G29/40 marked 660 1940 has barrel date of 1940 so how could this rifle be made in 1942?? every G29/40 rifle i can see a bbl date is 1940 so how it that its made in 1941 or 1942, i'm lost help me out here. I do know that there are a few months of extra barrels about so the first few blocks of a new year will have last years date, but not on a 1942 rifle have a 1940 dated bbl? I think that all these G29/40 rifles were made BEFORE k98 production cause i have a 1940 660 coded cupped buttplate stock in the g (G) block Marked E/M. with this info all the G29/40 VB i have all have flat buttplates.

later
vaughn

What does the barrel date have to when the rifle was assembled? There are numerous bnz/42 with "40" dated Steyr barrels, both Böhler and RD barrels. BiO has an BLM/42 "r" block with a Steyr "40" barrel.. Matter of fact most bnz/41 have "40" barrels.

Steyr after 1939 increasingly became a rifle assembler who made barrels- increasingly reliant upon Radom for 98k components. Simple fact is that Steyr was a barrel making company, they made over 400k in 1940, 650k in 1941, 680 in 1942, and almost 900k in 1943, - all manytimes what they assembled in rifles.

When you make 400k barrels in 1940 and only assemble 96k rifles, you tend to have a lot of inventory, and that is why so many ordnance spares exist from Steyr. Another statistic, Steyr total rifle production (1939-1945) barely exceeded how many barrels they made in 1943 alone.

Hello,

maybe i have this info and over looked it were is the Steyr production table for these 2,6 million barrels printed?, i must have over looked in one of the books i own. let me know SS much appreciated.

later
vaughn

Here are a few photos of my new G29/40. It is serialed internally in the stock and the handguard, and is matching down to the bayonet bar, band spring, both trigger guard screws, and of course all of the other components. The barrel is dated 40. Stock markings are faint, but still there including the M for Kreigsmarine plus it has the N for Nordsee on the donut. Alltogether, not a bad rifle. I"ve been looking for one for a very long time. I'd still like one with the Polish eagle too.

Thanks to all for your help. David

Attachments

• MVC-001F.JPG
    MVC-001F.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 39
  • MVC-002F.JPG
    MVC-002F.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 45
  • MVC-003F.JPG
    MVC-003F.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 46
  • MVC-004F.JPG
    MVC-004F.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 33
  • MVC-005F.JPG
    MVC-005F.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 39
  • MVC-006F.JPG
    MVC-006F.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 34
  • MVC-007F.JPG
    MVC-007F.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 35
  • MVC-008F.JPG
    MVC-008F.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 30
  • MVC-009F.JPG
    MVC-009F.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 35
  • MVC-010F.JPG
    MVC-010F.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 28
Nice, David! Hard rifle to find in that shape. That one needs a thread on its own so I can pic sticky it. some further detailed pics if you have them would be good too :thumbsup:

The rifle was reported in the KCN, not sure when, - image attached.

Here are a few photos of my new G29/40. It is serialed internally in the stock and the handguard, and is matching down to the bayonet bar, band spring, both trigger guard screws, and of course all of the other components. The barrel is dated 40. Stock markings are faint, but still there including the M for Kreigsmarine plus it has the N for Nordsee on the donut. Alltogether, not a bad rifle. I"ve been looking for one for a very long time. I'd still like one with the Polish eagle too.

Thanks to all for your help. David

Attachments

• KCN.jpg
    KCN.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 41
That's really interesting. I was a KCN member from day one and knew Chris Cox well. Can you tell me what issue it was in? The rifle came to me through a dealer friend purchasing it at the Allentown show a few weeks ago.

Ah, some KCN old school ;) I joined close to the beginning and had all issues. I wish I would have kept them and scanned them for use. They got tossed in a move. The classifieds would make one weep.

No sorry, I didn't note that in the database. Probably later than earlier, probably 1995-1998 as those I have gone over the most for trends information.

Yes, and I have your article on the G43 mount somewhere! (june 1992)

Ah, some KCN old school ;) I joined close to the beginning and had all issues. I wish I would have kept them and scanned them for use. They got tossed in a move. The classifieds would make one weep.

Great thread and very timely as I'm looking at an RC G29/40. It's so refreshing to see these fine unaltered examples in comparison to the patchy blue, mismatched, electropenciled RC. I guess I should be happy it doesn't have the new style gigantic receiver serial numbers too.

The neat thing about this RC is it's sitting in a full Kriegsmodell stock...the flat bottomed variety. The stock is in really good shape, but has the big Rooski number on the butt. It seems to be really oversized also as it had to be shaved down pretty radically to accept the cupped buttplate. I'm really thinking about picking it up.

I'm another former KCN member from the early 90's. Chris Cox's publication is what got me started on collecting K98's. "Backbone of the Wehrmacht" was being put together and was the main topic for the KCN at that time. I still have a few old KCN issues and the classifieds back then showed how all matching 98's could be found for around $400-$700....good times indeed! Is Chris Cox still involved in collecting 98's? Just curious.

Terrific lookin' rifle you've got snipershot! Certainly a keeper. Just noticed, is the recoil lug reversed in your rifle?

Last edited:
I'm another former KCN member from the early 90's. Chris Cox's publication is what got me started on collecting K98's. I still have a few old issues and the classifieds back then showed how all matching 98's could be found for around $400-$700....good times indeed! Is Chris Cox still involved in collecting 98's? Just curious.

Terrific lookin' rifle you've got snipershot! Certainly a keeper. Just noticed, is the recoil lug reversed in your rifle?

Ah, the KCN classifieds.:thumbsup: I joined the last 12 - 15 months or so of the KCN and at that time I could only dream about the $400 - $500 matching 98k's on those pages. Oh well. Not sure about Chris Cox but methinks some here are in contact with him.

The last time I spoke with Chris was 8-9 years ago. He had pretty much moved on in terms of collecting Mausers. I think he still had two last time I spoke with him.

Thanks to all for your help on this rifle.

Military Rifle Journal
Back