Third Party Press

German Captured/Converted Belgian M1889s

chrisftk

Staff member
Hi All,

I recently upgraded my converted Belgian 1889 and wanted to share some pics and background information.

Naturally, Belgian weapons were captured during the German occupation of Belgium and in subsequent battles with Belgian units. While many weapon were captured (and marked with a Deutches Reich property mark on the stock) some were converted to 7.92x57 and served in rear echelon German units. The conversions were possibly completed by Oskar Will/Venuswerke, though no documentation exists to prove this-- the theory is based upon prior Venuswerke conversions of the Chinese M1907s, Mosin Nagants and 88/14s.

As part of the process, the bolts, barrel collars and receivers were re-proofed, bearing a Spandau-style eagle. In addition, the right receiver was marked with German acceptance.

Since many of these rifles were assembled from parts, the Germans renumbered the bolt and barrel shroud to match. No other parts appear to have been force matched and in many cases, the rifles are Mixmasters aside from German renumbering.

Other modifications made included the milling of the receiver ring, bolt face and magazine to accommodate larger ammunition.

These conversions were often off battle hardened rifles that saw no refurbishment, so condition is generally pretty poor. After the war, remaining Belgian rifles were returned to Belgium, while any rifles brought back by Americans remained in the US.

It should also be noted that Belgian carbines were also captured and similarly modified by the Germans.

IMG_20221214_162051195.jpgIMG_20221214_154342070.jpgIMG_20221214_154355509_HDR.jpgIMG_20221214_154443449_HDR.jpgIMG_20221214_154453664_HDR.jpgIMG_20221214_154459660_HDR.jpgIMG_20221214_154528918.jpgIMG_20221214_154643423_HDR.jpgIMG_20221214_154652738_HDR.jpgIMG_20221214_154705181_HDR.jpgIMG_20221214_154720606_HDR.jpgIMG_20221214_154745096_HDR.jpgIMG_20221214_154752474.jpgIMG_20221214_154829811_HDR.jpg

Source: Vanderlinden, Anthony (2016) FN Mauser Rifles. Wet Dog Publications.

Last edited:
I owned one of these years ago.. Came one of three ww1 rifles from an old timer I think he said they came from a VFW or american legion. The other two were gew98's I know i sold it to someone on gunboards before this site existed . This might be it ? I cant recall the ser # or who it went to at the time..

Interesting rifle Chris…There is always something to learn by coming to this sight! It keeps me coming back….. Over both wars the Germans were good at grabbing and modifying what arms they could get to help their cause. One of my favorite rifles in my collection is a WaA140 inspected Greek contact FN Mauser…. Different War but same concept from the same country. Cool rifle

I owned one of these years ago.. Came one of three ww1 rifles from an old timer I think he said they came from a VFW or american legion. The other two were gew98's I know i sold it to someone on gunboards before this site existed . This might be it ? I cant recall the ser # or who it went to at the time..
Interesting-- this came out of an auction house in Rhode Island. Unfortunately, I don't know anything more than that for prior ownership.

Interesting rifle Chris…There is always something to learn by coming to this sight! It keeps me coming back….. Over both wars the Germans were good at grabbing and modifying what arms they could get to help their cause. One of my favorite rifles in my collection is a WaA140 inspected Greek contact FN Mauser…. Different War but same concept from the same country. Cool rifle
Thanks Jory! I do agree there's always something interesting with beutewaffen. I have a pretty strict "German only" creed in my collecting (with the exception of a shooter SMLE and one of each major US Rifle) , so captured guns give me a loophole to pick up models I'd otherwise avoid.

In WW1, there are far fewer captured models to collect, but the rarity amps up quite a bit on them. You'll see more mosin nagants than anything with German or Austrian property marks. The Finns purchased a ton of them later. More rarely, Some were modified to 8x57 or have other German mods. I I also used to own an ŒWG/Steyr modified one converted to Austrian 8x50, but it wasn't German so it got sold.

Also, more rarely here you'll see German marked or modified French rifles such as Lebels or Berthiers-- and extremely rarely you'll see a German marked SMLE.

I can't say that I've ever seen a property marked Carcano or American 1903/M1917.

This is a really nice one, Chris. Thanks for getting the photos, great to see such details; i put it in the reference.
Thanks Cyrus!

I had seen the stock cartouche in the past
but did not know its meaning. Cool variation Chris
Thanks Rick! It's a cool cartouche, it's reasonably common on Finn mosins as noted above, but gets a lot rarer on other models.

Military Rifle Journal
Back