Third Party Press

Gew 98M Danzig - 1916 Matching

EF313918-D972-4A3D-B5D2-02841712D379.jpeg941BB20C-0CFE-4E3E-BE92-9262997F2C0F.jpeg89134792-8B0E-4E46-9E37-9DDA65EF78D4.jpegC19D942A-6E8A-4132-93F7-DFE44D9C4B88.jpeg
d93afb16-6438-46e7-b80f-10463350207d-jpeg.349689
8034C0DD-80A3-4129-9DF1-6E4E91863D44.jpeg81F1323A-298F-4A9D-8838-C0F81C6FF999.jpeg4B8B7774-3F97-4778-B77F-42DD1BA42F47.jpeg1B2D716C-20BE-4187-80C6-61451D0D931F.jpeg

Picked up this nice salty Gew 98M rifle a bit ago.

Matching except for the cleaning rod. Which has some interesting proofs/marks I have not seen. Appears to be dated “1937”, or maybe a serial number?

Rifle is all correct for a Rebuild. Has a Third Reich depot/rebuild stamp. On bottom of the pistol grip.

Was originally disappointed when I first got the rifle. When I took it apart I found an import mark on the bottom of the receiver. I generally can’t stand import marks. This will actually be the first firearm I will allow into the permanent collection with an import stamp. Since it is very discreet.

Nice rifle overall to find in its original depot matching condition.

Actually there are two depot inspections. Ka30 (HNZa Königswartha) is under the Mg10. I have only seen Ka30 once in the good Luger book, I don't think I have ever seen it on a rifle before.

Import mark sucks, but I don't think it would bother me, being so discreet.

Attachments

• KA30.jpg
    KA30.jpg
    436.2 KB · Views: 9
Actually there are two depot inspections. Ka30 (HNZa Königswartha) is under the Mg10. I have only seen Ka30 once in the good Luger book, I don't think I have ever seen it on a rifle before.

Import mark sucks, but I don't think it would bother me, being so discreet.

Great info, thanks. I couldn’t really make out the stamp. Thanks for the clarification. I’ll have to look at my books. For deeper information on the two stamps.

It is not the norm for such a discreet import marking that required disassembly to stamp. I wonder if this was an arranged import that someone had shipped here with special instructions on marking it that way to satisfy requirements? In any case, a nice rifle!

It is not the norm for such a discreet import marking that required disassembly to stamp. I wonder if this was an arranged import that someone had shipped here with special instructions on marking it that way to satisfy requirements? In any case, a nice rifle!

Must be. Probably a single import. Buyer must’ve really wanted the rifle, I guess.

I looked up the importer. Nothing on the surface I could find. Imagine they must’ve been similar to Simpsons LTD.

I wonder how long ago the rifle was imported. I was thinking maybe 1990’s?

Must be. Probably a single import. Buyer must’ve really wanted the rifle, I guess.

I looked up the importer. Nothing on the surface I could find. Imagine they must’ve been similar to Simpsons LTD.

I wonder how long ago the rifle was imported. I was thinking maybe 1990’s?
Possible in early 90's or so before the even more obtrusive markings were required.

That's a nice 98M. I have what appears to be a worn Ka30 mark on one of my 98m as well. I agree with Ryan--only the second time I've seen one on a rifle.

I wouldn't let the import mark bug me. I know imports can be a divisive topic, but the only ones that really bug me are the CAI "billboard" that looked it it was printed with a dot matrix printer. The old ones under the barrel don't bother me--- on the right gun. I wouldn't buy an imported byf44, but if it was something hard to find, I wouldn't care if it had that. (My matched BLM "Circle A" k98k) is a good example of that.

The view on import marks in general seems to have softened in recent years. The more modern markings are quite discreet and strategically placed-- think SImpson. With collections like Geoffrey Sturgess's being imported, more folks have become more pragmatic. Again, case by case. Here is a good case to just forget about the marking and enjoy the rifle and "allow" it to remain ;)

Honestly, fantastic example of Gew98M. Multiple depot stamps and EWB marked stock make it all the more cool. These are some of my favourite rifles, and finding them fully matching is actually quite challenging. They went through a lot, and at the very least they are almost always bolt mm’s.

I really wouldn’t let the import stamp bother me at all. Great rifle!

Do we know which depot is Mg10?

Honestly, fantastic example of Gew98M. Multiple depot stamps and EWB marked stock make it all the more cool. These are some of my favourite rifles, and finding them fully matching is actually quite challenging. They went through a lot, and at the very least they are almost always bolt mm’s.

I really wouldn’t let the import stamp bother me at all. Great rifle!

Do we know which depot is Mg10?

Thanks, that was the same conclusion I came to. Doubt I’ll find another one that is all matching anytime soon.

HZA Magdeburg. That version of the stamp is probably 1940 at the earliest. So Königswartha probably did the original conversion in the mid 1930s and it was reworked again sometime later.

Thanks for the extra info. 1940 at the earliest is much later than I would’ve thought, interesting! Wonder who the rifles got issued to, post the second rebuild.

I just saw a photo of the Maus tank testing. All the soldiers definitely had Gew 98M’s. Thought it was interesting.

Military Rifle Journal
Back