Third Party Press

Interesting Polish Rework... Gewehr 98 to K98k?

DUV44

Greetings all,

I picked up this one over the weekend, and thought it was a pretty interesting rifle. It has the F.B. Radom triangle on the barrel along with some other Polish markings. The rest of the gun is marked with both German Imperial markings and WWII Waffenamts. It's a complete mixmaster. It appears to have been reworked from a Gewehr 98 into a K98k. The barrel shows heavy lathe marks on about the last 5 inches or so from the muzzle. Does this rifle have a specific model designation? If anyone can shed any more light on the history of this rifle, I'd greatly appreciate it! I'm guessing it went to Spain for their civil war. On a side note, it appears that someone was in the process of drilling and tapping it for a scope, but they stopped only leaving marks from a center punch.

Attachments

• radom-1.jpg
    radom-1.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 61
  • radom-2.jpg
    radom-2.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 68
  • radom-3.jpg
    radom-3.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 68
  • radom-4.jpg
    radom-4.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 65
  • radom-5.jpg
    radom-5.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 63
  • radom-6.jpg
    radom-6.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 61
  • radom-7.jpg
    radom-7.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 57
  • radom-8.jpg
    radom-8.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 59
Often the siderail offers a clue, so too the right receiver and receiver fireproof... naturally the waffenamts would post-1939 additions or mismatched parts. The front and rear sight markings might be relevant also.

Often the siderail offers a clue, so too the right receiver and receiver fireproof... naturally the waffenamts would post-1939 additions or mismatched parts. The front and rear sight markings might be relevant also.
There are no markings whatsoever on the siderail. It has been completely scrubbed. The rear sight has a few different WaA markings. They are weakly struck, but one appears to be WaA 240 and another one WaA 355.

very strange things going on there.. I also see center punch marks on the top of the receiver and bridge area. Im guessing bubba was getting ready to drill and tap...
the barrel could have been him as well.. Getting read to make a supped up sporter using the latest magazine article in 1962..

Military Rifle Journal
Back