Third Party Press

M1907 Chinese Contract Mauser (German Issued)

Very nice rifle, thanks for showing it. Here's a period photo of one with the distinctive double edged bayonet mounted.

Attachments

• 14.1.jpg
    14.1.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 35
Totally neat rifle, can i ask how you knew it was german issued? is there a marking, or serial block

Totally neat rifle, can i ask how you knew it was german issued? is there a marking, or serial block
The 1914 production was claimed by the Germans to my knowledge, but biggest giveaways are:

1) The sight being staked to a minimum 400m to match the Gew98 (if you look there is a small pin preventing you going to the written 200m mark)

2) The barrel converted to 8x57 from the Chinese 6.8mm. Though there is evidence some were given new barrels entirely.

3) Wrist acceptance

4) The other circumstantial evidence; a handful of Gew98 parts mixed in (likely by armorers) and the fact it came with a gew98 bolt in it (like a bolt mm bringback)

Awesome Rifle, I really find German Captured, or "Supplement" Rifles. Thank you for the Info!

In one of the Württemberg regimental history books the use of foreign (Chinese) rifles is mentioned. Have to dig it out.
Something like: The soldiers were very happy when they were equipped with the G98 rifles and got rid of the Chinese junk.

BTW: GREAT rifle!

In book A Mad Catastrophe, author mentioned:

“Austrian minister in Munich to Berchtold on September 8 conveyed the news that the Germans would send Austria 2.5 million rifle and machine gun cartridges previously dismissed as “past their sale date” (veraltet) and “suitable only for the Chinese army.

I guess it might come from the 1913 contract. Interesting is, by my research, Steyr sold both 6.8 Mauser rifle and ammunition to China in 1910.

Military Rifle Journal
Back