Third Party Press

Mauser DSM34 Stock Markings

schintzie

Hello Everyone. This is my first post here.

I purchased this Mauser DSM34 several years ago, it has serial number 6589. I have been curious about the markings on the butt stock sense purchasing. It has the numbers “10/130”, inverted, apparently applied with black ink or paint.

I tried doing some research a while back, but didn't find anything conclusive. It was thought that the numbers may indicate an HJ group from the Dortmund area, or possibly just a rack number with no indication of ownership.

So, having found this wonderful sight, I felt it was time to let some people that have looked at a whole lot more of these than I have take a look at it and offer their opinions.

Attachments

• Photo_1.jpg
    Photo_1.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Photo_6.jpg
    Photo_6.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 54
  • Photo_9.jpg
    Photo_9.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Photo_8.jpg
    Photo_8.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Photo_2.jpg
    Photo_2.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Welcome

Welcome, schintzie.
Very nice rifle. The buttstock marking looks to be of the pre-war period. The moderator-in-chief here at the smallbore forum is an expert in these great old rifles, which as you have discovered makes this the premier site (IMHO). Other members here add extensive knowledge and keen analysis for the many topics concerned with collecting the small bore German rifles.
-a.

A nice honest example that talks

Thanks for posting and welcome aboard.

I appreciate your pictures and the serial number furthers all our study of these.

Looks like you have the way to post new thread figured out and good job on the pictures.

Every contribution here helps us all learn.

Your gun made first year production (1934). Many of these early property marks are unique and hand applied. Later on they were more standard but remained varied as virtually every branch of the NSDAP and the Military used the Deutsches Sportmodell for economical marksmanship training.

Read through the threads, you should find much that will interest you.

Feel free to jump right in where it interests you.

GOOD COLLECTING!!

Thanks!

Thanks to all for the responses and warm welcomes!

mauser22 and others; feel free to use any of this information for any sort of research.

While it doesn't show up in any of the pictures I posted, this rifle does have the rear sight mounted to a sleeve instead of being soldered directly to the barrel. While I understand this is not rare for an early rifle, I believe it was also not the norm.

Military Rifle Journal
Back