Third Party Press

Mauser Obendorf 1917

sapper44

Guys;
I just got a new GEW.98. It is a Mauser Obendorf 1917 that has no import marks, no Turkish markings, and has allot of matching parts! The barrel, receiver, entire bolt/firing pin, shoulder plate, and sight and base are all matched! Everything else was mismatched and the stock had been chopped up, but I had sanded stock I could put it in until I find a nicer stock. Here are a couple of photos, I will try and get a couple more next week.

001-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

Can you do a really good picture of the serial, both on the barrel & receiver? Also the right receiver? I ask this because I think this might be a new high for MO/1917, as I think this is a "bb" block rifle, and the current high is in the "aa" block.

While from poor quality images it looks "u"ish, it isn't like others and I think the characters are actually script "bb" as they (MO) used similar poorly defined "b" suffixes.

Yes thanks, got them, it is a "bb" block and a 10k jump over the last high! I would like to see the right receiver, when you have a chance, so I can compare to the MO/1918, as not too many dual suffix MO/1917 have been recorded.

Many things were underway late in the war, firms finishing others receivers, stock experiments, little oddities, short cuts in production, and naturally the arsenals and MO were all involved in the business.

Nice looking rifle in the close up!

Thanks, the RR is very helpful, definitely MO assemble, they used the big honking C/E acceptance in this time frame. It is one of the ways I identified the Spandau's MO assembled a few years back.

Do some of the stock? 1917-1918 dated MO are not common in "Imperial German" (non-Turk) configuration. There are a lot of them but it is generally considered a good maker-date if it stayed in German hands. Some of the most interesting variations to stocks show up in this frame too (maple stocks for instance, though this is not one..). That this is so late in 1917, probably around the turn to 1918, it is a most interesting rifle.

Military Rifle Journal
Back