Third Party Press

MP44 ruptered cases

Paging Pete!!

Is there any bulging at the base on the opposite side of the blowout?

When you flip it over and look in the mag well does the bolt pop up as it rides forward? It's a tilting bolt action so it wouldn't surprise me if that's the area on the top as it went into battery.

Mp-44

Only a guess, but some repaired barrels (welded) were too generously ported for feeding. The result can be an ruptured case head. IMO, not improper head spacing, just unsupported case heads. JH

feed ramp/

Hard to tell from pictures but the shape of the blowout area looks a lot like the shape of the ramp. Is this problem something that just started happening on a previously good working rifle? Although these guns usually feed fine with mags the particular rifle likes, the path from mag to chamber is a bit tortured. Could someone have "worked" on the ramp in an attempt to fix a feeding problem ending up with too large a unsupported case area? Could be a headspace problem. These guns will run ok with more headspace than one would think but there is a limit to everything.
Remove the FP and extractor and put carefully trimmed pieces of masking tape on the back of a unfired ctg. Chamber it and see how many it takes to get to where you can feel the closing of the bolt being impeded. Most tape is .005/.006 thick. In a perfect world 1 would be considered a problem but I've shot 44's that took 3 plus that shot fine with no odd ctg. issues. Sometimes I think the extractor is holding the base against the boltface .
See what you get.
HS can be corrected but it can get somewhat involved.
I'm assuming the bolt is going into battery as it should.
Pete in St. Louis

Last edited:
pete is the MP-44 expert

those are steel cases!!! are they German WW2 or east german post war cases Im curious

Military Rifle Journal
Back