Third Party Press

My Father’s Award Documents

Gerst

The last time we had a tornado warning here in Texas I put a lot of valuable and historical items into my ”safe room” I had framed many of my dad’s WWII and Reichswehr documents so these were all taken down. Today I had them copied and framed the copies. The originals will be in a big binder
with other family documents. Next time the siren sounds, they stay up. The shadow boxes will still be taken down!

Attachments

• 108DF10E-AC3A-4024-BD06-F39D4606ECF2.jpeg
    108DF10E-AC3A-4024-BD06-F39D4606ECF2.jpeg
    306.7 KB · Views: 93
  • BC673BC1-7231-4593-84DE-8E40E2F985D9.jpeg
    BC673BC1-7231-4593-84DE-8E40E2F985D9.jpeg
    336.9 KB · Views: 93
It's awesome you have your fathers awards and medals. I noticed he participated in the Crimea campaign, was he a member of the 11th army?

I have my late wife’s father’s medals, a good friend and neighbor who passed away, and my paternal grandfather’s medals and documents also. They are on a wall. The helmets are replicas I had made up. One for each grandfather and one for my great uncle, Garde Pionier. Others Prussian Reserve and Saxon.

Attachments

• 675F446B-265E-47C5-8BB6-49010CEF8798.jpeg
    675F446B-265E-47C5-8BB6-49010CEF8798.jpeg
    245.5 KB · Views: 46
Gerst, would it be possible to see so close ups of the award documents?
I’ll try to post them tomorrow. I’ve been busy sorting dozens of old family documents and putting them in a 12 X 12 scrap book with acid-free inserts. I’ve been doing the genealogy thing so I could print out the information for parents and grandparents and their ancestors. It’s a lot of work but I’m a widower so I have time to do it. Also, I can read the documents. if I don’t do all that the old stuff would end up in a box and eventually, the dump. I did the same thing for hundreds of old family photos so the people in them are identified. I scanned my dad’s Reichswehr and Wehrmacht photos already. The originals are in a big album.

Ive also put everything in the house on excel spreadsheets with identification, history and value. That took about a week!

My father was very organized. He kept everything. His father did too. My wife’s parents, Americans, weren’t so organized. I don’t even have the most rudimentary documents for them, just discharge papers and death certificates.

very nice! I’ve tried very hard to track down my grandfather’s but I havent had much luck.
If your grandfather was German look up Deutsche Dienststelle and fill out a request. I did this for my father and one of his brothers who fell in Russia. It took very little time.

I found this in my grandfather’s stuff.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 27
Thanks for sharing! Rare to see such a nice set survive intact in family papers. You may already know to do this, but be sure that any sleeves you use for the original documents are archival-safe. The wrong kind of sleeve will destroy the documents over time.

Dad didn’t say much about WWII but he had some great stories about the Reichswehr. He really enjoyed those years.
I believe that’s common, war really is ‘hell’ for ordinary decent folks. My Dad (US Army, infantry, 66th Div) only told a few ‘war stories’; one about how good captured chickens taste (French ones in the particular case) and about a near miss he had after standing up in the for open for a smoke, a German mg gunner let him know that that was a bad idea. A couple stories about holiday meals on troop ships, he was a Wyoming-raised boy that didn’t suffer from sea sickness. He was glad to have survived, when so many others he trained with hadn’t. After the war, as both Korea & Viet Nam conflicts developed, he became more & more skeptical about the way US politicians spent the lives of our troops.

I believe that’s common, war really is ‘hell’ for ordinary decent folks. My Dad (US Army, infantry, 66th Div) only told a few ‘war stories’; one about how good captured chickens taste (French ones in the particular case) and about a near miss he had after standing up in the for open for a smoke, a German mg gunner let him know that that was a bad idea. A couple stories about holiday meals on troop ships, he was a Wyoming-raised boy that didn’t suffer from sea sickness. He was glad to have survived, when so many others he trained with hadn’t. After the war, as both Korea & Viet Nam conflicts developed, he became more & more skeptical about the way US politicians spent the lives of our troops.
Once when I was in high school a buddy if his who had been in the Crimea came over. They joked a lot and I took them to Ft. Meyer to look at some m-48 parade tanks. They had fun.

Military Rifle Journal
Back