Third Party Press

My MG13, i would like to know more about it and the different markings

Sean

Hi Guys

First of all let me say i tried to find this info out myself but am really struggling, maybe some of you guys could help.

I have a German MG13 in really good condition. UK deact pre 95 spec so can be cocked, stripped etc. There are many markings, some of which i cant ascertain what they mean and that is what i need help with. They are;

A Wehrmacht sign with a "4" underneath it.

A-199 Stamped on the side of the reciever and somewhere else (cant remember as i type this)

When you lift the top cover on (where the spring, hammer etc is) there is another wehrmacht with a "4", another one next to it with WaA4 and then another different eagle next to that which i think is an imperial eagle?

Portugese crest with 1938 stamped next to it

And lastly there is "BSW" stamped in a few places.

There are wehrmacht signs all over this thing, on everything from trigger to bi pod, barrel, reciever etc. They are everywhere. Would this mean it was used by the Nazis or something else?

Thanks in advance
Sean

Why not post some pictures,,so we can see what you mean?:happy0180:
Hi Guys

First of all let me say i tried to find this info out myself but am really struggling, maybe some of you guys could help.

I have a German MG13 in really good condition. UK deact pre 95 spec so can be cocked, stripped etc. There are many markings, some of which i cant ascertain what they mean and that is what i need help with. They are;

A Wehrmacht sign with a "4" underneath it.

A-199 Stamped on the side of the reciever and somewhere else (cant remember as i type this)

When you lift the top cover on (where the spring, hammer etc is) there is another wehrmacht with a "4", another one next to it with WaA4 and then another different eagle next to that which i think is an imperial eagle?

Portugese crest with 1938 stamped next to it

And lastly there is "BSW" stamped in a few places.

There are wehrmacht signs all over this thing, on everything from trigger to bi pod, barrel, reciever etc. They are everywhere. Would this mean it was used by the Nazis or something else?

Thanks in advance
Sean

The Wa4 and Eagle 4 markings are inspection stamps for BSW, or Berlin Suhler Waffen und Fahrzeugwerke. This was a nazi factory before WW1, and did make MG's for the Nazi's. However, your MG was apparently made under contract by them for Portugal. The Portugese used a lot of MG34's and K98k's as well. The A-199 is the serial number.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back