Third Party Press

P-38 safety question

Sexton

I don't know anything about P-38's. A friend who knows even less came by yesterday to ask about his. He's in his late 60's, gun is an AC 40 handed down from his Dad, who took it apart so any kid playing with it wouldn't hurt anybody. The problem being the unloaded gun will "fire" with the safety on. He hasn't tried to load the mag or chamber a round. We are wondering if its a case of it has to be loaded for the safety to work or is there something not right with it?

Back story, his dad bought the Walther, a Beretta, 2 bayonets and 2 belts from a returning vet - capture papers included - handed them down to his son who just now found them again and is trying to get them back to working order.

tia Sexton

I don't know anything about P-38's. A friend who knows even less came by yesterday to ask about his. He's in his late 60's, gun is an AC 40 handed down from his Dad, who took it apart so any kid playing with it wouldn't hurt anybody. The problem being the unloaded gun will "fire" with the safety on. He hasn't tried to load the mag or chamber a round. We are wondering if its a case of it has to be loaded for the safety to work or is there something not right with it?

Back story, his dad bought the Walther, a Beretta, 2 bayonets and 2 belts from a returning vet - capture papers included - handed them down to his son who just now found them again and is trying to get them back to working order.

tia Sexton

He has to be missing pieces in the slide. There are "pins" that block the firing pin from moving. If these pins are not put back in after disassembly, there is nothing to block the firing pin when the safety is moved. I can show you a diagram if needed. It sure sounds like when he reassembled it, he did not put the pins back in.

Thanks Daltrey, he took it to a shop to have a professional put it back together, ha! I'll pass the information on to him. Maybe the "pins" will turn up. As I said, I don't know anything about these but given a diagram I bet I could put it right. In my line of work I quite frequently am given something thats broken and have to figure out how to take it apart, fix it and put it back together again.
btw, how far north of Boston?
Sexton.

Thanks Daltrey, he took it to a shop to have a professional put it back together, ha! I'll pass the information on to him. Maybe the "pins" will turn up. As I said, I don't know anything about these but given a diagram I bet I could put it right. In my line of work I quite frequently am given something thats broken and have to figure out how to take it apart, fix it and put it back together again.
btw, how far north of Boston?
Sexton.

The two pins in the rear of the slide and are held down with the rear sight and that is held down by the top cover. 71e4bf1b7b2486f026b06f982d769168.jpg

I am in Stoneham, MA

As an AC40, it may well quite a collectible item. No pics, so hard to say, but even in poorer shape quite rare. Don't risk a collectible.

The two pins in the rear of the slide and are held down with the rear sight and that is held down by the top cover. View attachment 248029

I am in Stoneham, MA

Friend of mine grew up there. He lives in Athol now. I'm sure we've passed in the aisles at the shows, I'm in Hampton NH. Again thanks for your help.

As an AC40, it may well quite a collectible item. No pics, so hard to say, but even in poorer shape quite rare. Don't risk a collectible.

Definitely a shooter. Finish is rough. And thank you for your help.

... The problem being the unloaded gun will "fire" with the safety on. ...

What do you mean, "it will fire"? You say it's not loaded. Please describe what you are doing, and what the gun does.

Applying the safety will automatically drop the hammer, but the gun should not fire.

M

Military Rifle Journal
Back