Third Party Press

quick comment on posters

BANCHEE

so i been reading the hundreds of post on here guy joins up say here my rifle help me out on this and that and the rest posty pictures gets his answers then disappears never to be heard from again,uses the knowledge here and i this its great that the experts here do it time and time again answering the same stuff over and over again. i am not that guy i love my mausers and love reading the history on here and the background love reading the replys from the experts .i plan on being here long term with my new found education im prepared to move forward and expand my mauser collection,again i thank the owners and experts who will help me in my future thanks again tommy

People come for many reasons, from just a query to a free education on a variation or individual rifle - or off-topic discussions where civility is next to impossible, for myself impossible, as Voltaire once said that one should never try and win over a fanatic with reason alone... if someone has a committed view, an unsurmountable bias it is pointless to reason, the best thing is ignoring them, if that is impossible then rely on ridicule (it never works but is entertaining if you drink enough beer)

Yeah, the alternative is to have a private forum, and frankly that is going to be a much poorer forum. Not only do you not get those interesting drive by rifles, but you also don't attract the handful of people who start posting and stick around. Eventually forums like that die off, someone stops paying for the hosting, and all the collected info goes away. Which would be a real shame - there's some good information here that was posted by people who have since died.

Drive-bye's happen in every forum. There are many reasons, mostly just posting for information on their particular item. Some are actually insulted on their introduction by a forum member and lose all enthusiasm to contribute, but mostly just wanted information.

Generally on the main forum it is rare for an introductory visit to be greeted with an insult, though defining insulting behavior is often a perception than a fact (typed words lack inflection and tone); the off-topic forums thrive on venting and expressions of political factionalism (relatively small differences being exaggerated); these days open off-topic forums on conservative site are asking for trouble, especially if you have unpopular views with certain alphabetical acronyms.

Military Rifle Journal
Back