Third Party Press

Rifle Preservation?

I wipe mine with a light coat of Ballistol and they are in Bore Stores in a safe with a golden rod dehumidifier rod. I live in a place as humid as anywhere and have had no problems.

any good gun oil should work. I sometimes even use a light gun grease for long term storage on guns I don't shoot.

I am a huge fan of Eezox, it tested very high in a corrosion test that was posted here some time ago, and I love the smell of it in the morning...smells like... like presevation :biggrin1: But just like there are blonde, brunette, and red head fans ( brunettes for me!) you will find as many different oil fans. For long term storage RIGS grease is real good too. I would stay away from Remoil as a rust preventer as it scored very low due to its high evaporation rate.

Of course the question that needs to be asked is how long between inspection do you want to store? I get mine out at least twice a year so super long term oil is not needed. Dust free and proper humidity is very important. Where you live also plays a part, humidity etc. Plus wiping off hand prints after handling. I've seen too many rusted rifles and shotguns from this.

My post was overly simplistic, but luckily for me, so is my situation, in that the area I live in is naturally very low humidity. However, we have a method of using this low humidity to cool the house called a "swamp cooler" or evaporative cooler. Basically a big box with fiber pads that has water pumped over them, and a big squirrel cage fan sucks outside air into the house through these soaked pads, and drops the air temp by at least 25 degrees for pennies on the dollar versus A/C.

However, this does raise the humidity somewhat, and anything in the direct air path from the vents in the house gets a heavier dose of moisture. So for like 5 months out of the year, it is a little worse. I have some old (but nice) shotguns on a wall rack in the living room, and those need much more attention than stuff in the safe.

I think the key is staying on top of it, whatever type of preservative you choose, they are all somewhat comparable.

mto's point about dust is important, too - corrosion can be enhanced by electrolytic action of the moisture and dust can increase that, and it keeps the moisture on the metal longer on a small scale.

Jeff

Military Rifle Journal
Back