Third Party Press

Tapatalk

mrfarb

No War Eagles For You!
Staff member
I’m not sure I want to install the Tapatalk plugin again. This software is very good with mobile, and no annoying ads which Tapatalk has.

BigShell

I pay for the ad free version of Tapatalk, and I'm really going to miss the notifications. Ironically Gunboards newest update is no longer compatible with Tapatalk either.

:-(

mrfarb

No War Eagles For You!
Staff member
I'm not totally set against adding it again, but its very invasive and buggy. The ads that automatically start and magically trip when you brush against them are enough.

BigShell

Agreed, but for $1 a month I thought it was worth it since I’m rarely on my desktop.

Not complaining by any means, as you said the update is very mobile friendly. I will have to explore a bit and find out if there’s a way to set up email notifications when topics are posted to particular sub-forums.

Aslauda

I would like to see this back, it’s very mobile user friendly and the only way I actually checked the forums. I rarely am ever in the desk top. I purchased the lifetime membership to tapatalk solely for this forum.

Especially for the notifications I get from the trader section. It really helps since gum boards isn’t on tapatalk or any other app format any more.

Last edited:

mrfarb

No War Eagles For You!
Staff member
OK, I've just read up on Tapatalk. For now, I am going to not install the app. I am reading some disturbing privacy issues from them, such as copying links from forums, also copying user emails, even those who are not Tapatalk users.

It seems the Gunboards forum still has the Tapatalk plugin as I can access it though there. But generally Tapatalk is not very liked in the privacy world of forum owners.

Last edited:

Muncher 1953

I’d be curious about the proportion of primarily mobile to primarily non-mobile forum users. As a non-mobile user, I feel I’m already at a disadvantage as to the trader section, while I check it frequently, I’m not getting alerts while sleeping or taking a dump, as some do. It’s a matter of preferences, I guess. For me, devices are a tool, rather than a lifestyle.

This forum is rather unusual in the lack of ads, I read a motorcycle email list ( REALLY primitive, plain text, no attachments, very limited links) that has similar philosophy. I don’t wish to exclude or deprive the more technologically inclined, but is the convenience of some more important than preserving the unique character of this space? (if that’s the choice)

a luddite curmudgeon

mrfarb

No War Eagles For You!
Staff member
The benefit to Tapatalk is the fact that’s it’s a simplistic view of the threads with just text and photos. However, the mobile version of Xenforo is pretty good. I always used Tapatalk to access the forum so I could constantly monitor threads for spam or really good deals on the trader while you were in the shitter. Snagged some good stuff while you were reading the paper. I admit I don’t see all the new threads like I did with Tapatalk.

I actually thought the forum was still down as I use mostly Tapatalk. I am not in love with the app but I would advocate something mobile, especially with notifications, not just to the trader forum but it was nice for conversations I wanted to keep actively engaged in. New overhaul looks great though, thanks again to the mods!!

Muncher 1953

The benefit to Tapatalk is the fact that’s it’s a simplistic view of the threads with just text and photos. However, the mobile version of Xenforo is pretty good. I always used Tapatalk to access the forum so I could constantly monitor threads for spam or really good deals on the trader while you were in the shitter. Snagged some good stuff while you were reading the paper. I admit I don’t see all the new threads like I did with Tapatalk.
I guess I’m BUSTED! For a mod, that’s a great tool, whichever app is used. I don’t actually READ the paper much ( only get the Sunday ed) I use it to start my woodstoves for supplementary & outbuilding heat, and as packing material when I sell something (peanuts suck!).
Yes, I’m a primitive, but who better to appreciate a 120 year old rifle design? Like recognizing that a period rg chain patch loop swivels & cleans better than a G3 chain that doesn’t........
Flame suit on! =8^ )

Muncher 1953

Lol. I’m joking with you. I don’t even buy much anymore.
it’s all good, and you’ve provided new perspective. Is it possible you don’t buy much anymore ‘cuz you already got 3 of everything imaginable? (also kidding) It IS VERY likely that I missed something good on the trader cuz I was outside hunting squirrels!!
Thanks for being generous with your time & selling parts you don’t need reasonably!

WreckTangle

The benefit of Taptalk was the Trader section notifications (sometimes came hours after something was already snatched though.... followed threads notification... easy user interface from Old mobile site... Problems were Ads Ads Ads, privacy issues (as Farb discussed above) and I swear to god my Iphone 12 Pro Max with Taptalk.... reading the forum was sucking up like 3gb of data a month! Did anyone else have data useage issues? It was so bad that I had to turn off Taptalk if phone wasn't connected to wifi.

Anyways, I'm sure that there are some alternative plugins that will satisfy some of the positive Taptalk features on the current forum platform. We just need to figure out what... Or, maybe there are settings under user account settings page... not sure... Like I'm not seeing peoples Location, Post count, join date etc... on threads...

You can also add a webpage shortcut to your phone's homescreen.....

Is anyone having trouble attaching photos? I have only tried off my phone and keep getting error messages of too big. Have tried the attach files and insert media options.

I guess I can try croping them but I dont see how a picture of an ammo box/round would be too high resolution?

Military Rifle Journal