Third Party Press

Uncommon Mauser Oberndorf handstamp restoration.

jbmauser

Senior Member Eh
This was found in Canada as a sporter and was sitting in a Yugo stock when I got it but the action is all matching and untouched. I found an untouched walnut stock and the appropriate bands for an early 44 build and put it together. Big thanks to Clay and Dave for the bands that are so close in serial they could almost be factory errors. The stock and handguard are way off but you can't see those. Anyway, here it is.

dTtsPK.jpgxhzdef.jpgFnfPoJ.jpgbnGMqL.jpgKClVNK.jpgKdcU3b.jpgoItS9f.jpgOPKj8g.jpgMoAaEQ.jpg9eN5lW.jpg7j6k6u.jpgCXkFwE.jpgXnzYG4.jpgtUf7Mt.jpg9gr1dy.jpgXV5SNd.jpgb63kXN.jpgf4mwpN.jpgjIfCa9.jpg

Incredible resto. The stock looks good there - I didn't expect the wear on the takedown disk to actually match the darkness of the bluing on your action. Glad it went to a good cause.

Great resto! really neat looking rifle. Only (small) problem I see is the color difference in the handguard and stock. Possibly could rub a small amount of cosmoline into it and it might match better (some will probably crucify me for saying this!:googlie), or you could just get another one that alittle darker. But overall...a pretty killer rifle!

John.

Admittedly I've a long way to go when it comes to learning about K98k variations, but could you explain what makes this rifle a "Mauser Oberndorf hand-stamp"?

I've looked at the ce43 details in Vol. II (p.326), but found no mention of this. A rework, perhaps?

Thanks!

Richie

Admittedly I've a long way to go when it comes to learning about K98k variations, but could you explain what makes this rifle a "Mauser Oberndorf hand-stamp"?

I've looked at the ce43 details in Vol. II (p.326), but found no mention of this. A rework, perhaps?

Thanks!

Richie

You need to look in the Mauser Oberndorf section. Check out page 202 of Voll II a.

You need to look in the Mauser Oberndorf section. Check out page 202 of Voll II a.

Thanks JB, I learned something new. How fascinating!

I know it's been said ad infinitum, but it still bears repeating: Bruce and Michael really went all-out on those books. I've many volumes in the reference library, but none so exhaustively researched. Probably more information than I'll ever need, but one can never have too much.

Thanks again!

Richie

Oberndorf 1944 production

1944 was an incredible year at MO with all of the production variations...you could just collect that year and not see the end of the well...

early hand stamped series

All of the non-MO receivers that show up early in 1944 were diverted from Mauser Berlin...bcd43. ar43. ce43. There is one documented bnz43 also but this was a salvaged receiver that was inspected at MB.

Certainly worthy and nicely executed resto. Congrats! Bruce covered it really well but I'll throw this on the pile anyway. MO final.jpg

All of the non-MO receivers that show up early in 1944 were diverted from Mauser Berlin...bcd43. ar43. ce43. There is one documented bnz43 also but this was a salvaged receiver that was inspected at MB.

Really cool. 98k's will NEVER get boring!

Richie

Great restoration Jeremy. I think you did great
Getting everything to match well. The band SN is great!0

Good work and a definitely a worthy restoration. Has the law come into effect for importing for you guys?

Certainly worthy and nicely executed resto. Congrats! Bruce covered it really well but I'll throw this on the pile anyway. View attachment 262568

Ah yes, Mech -- that was the giveaway all along! This is where I give you guys a lot of credit.

If it were me looking over a piece like that, I'd have examined it for the "usual" -- matching numbers externally, bore condition, overall condition, and any signs of being messed with.

Only after I bought it would I have looked up that 'ampt, done further research, and realized what I had. But many of you fellows could've spotted this while the rifle was on the dealer's table. Bravo!

Richie

This is an excellent restoration. It takes a very interesting receiver/barrel combination to the next level by putting it in context, as closely as possible, making a whole rifle. There are some who don’t undertake restorations, thing I think many of us do because they are both challenging and a lot of fun. Great job!! Thank you for sharing it!!

Sent from my top secret official Bunker of the Order of the Def’s Hed.

Great rifle Jeremy!! There are very few circumstances where you can find an as roll marked Feima receiver, and this is one!

..many of you fellows could've spotted this while the rifle was on the dealer's table. Bravo!

Thanks. I'm coming along but there are guys here who literally blow my mind on an almost daily basis. I can't imagine the 10s of 1000s of hours and decades these guys have put into research, trends and cataloging sales and such. I feel like this could easily be a lifetime of learning type of situation.

Military Rifle Journal
Back