Third Party Press

Very late war Steyr MP44

Wilhelm

This rifle will be the subject of one of my upcoming E-Books this winter:

It's an XE/SWJ coded Steyr with a nice mixture of blued, phosphate and unfinished parts. To my knowledge, everything in this photo is original wartime production with the exception of the Leibermuster background which is experimental 1952 dated green Alpenflage Swiss. In the E-Book, we're going to look at all the little details from the markings and features on the rifle, the pouches and magazines to the spare parts with pouch and the always controversial web sling. It's going to be fun putting this together and, hopefully, you'll find it fun to look at and read. This will be one of several E-Books coming out at the same time including one about an original Type II FG42 and some other fun subjects too, some of which are post war. Stay tuned!

Beautiful rifle. What I would give to find one in that condition. Looking forward to the write up!

Gorgeous and looking forward to the read on it. I mixed it up with my SMG-FG42 and glad I did. Really like the look of that Steyr...

That is an excellent set-up Willheim and well worth a write up - lot's of pictures I hope.

I have a late war Steyr, too - but - not original like yours.

Looking forward to the review.

Pit.

Last edited:
Always with the negative waves Moriarty......always with the negative waves.

I'm presenting what's shown in the picture. As always, I'm not saying anything is real or fake, I'm just presenting detailed pictures. It's for the reader to decide what is what. I have my own opinion as to whether or not it's real but that is irrelevant. I'm just a scribe.

Really?

A beautiful rifle, but if everything with it is not 100 percent real and authenticated, then it kinds of spoils it all.

When I see a great display and ID one fake item, it brings into question everything else? You have to ask, what else is fake, refinnished or messed with. It is not being negative, it is an effort to learn.

Reproductions are fine for reneactors or for collectors when the item is so rare that they may never be able to get a real one.

Again, great rifle, I think?

Always with the negative waves Moriarty......always with the negative waves.

I'm presenting what's shown in the picture. As always, I'm not saying anything is real or fake, I'm just presenting detailed pictures. It's for the reader to decide what is what. I have my own opinion as to whether or not it's real but that is irrelevant. I'm just a scribe.

If any of you guys have read any of my "In Detail" essays I've done on other firearms, you are familiar with my work. I've done a number of them now and it's been suggested by quite a few that I start doing some E-Books...so I am. In each of the subjects I've done, I don't worry about explaining all the variations from one to the next, nor do I worry about all the development minutiae. Each subject is a snapshot of ONE item i.e. what's in front of the camera. In other words, what I do it to simply take one example and photograph it in great detail, explaining what you are looking at and what it does. The sling in the photograph is, as I have already stated, controversial. Some believe that they are real while others think not. All I will do in the book is show it in as much detail as I can including markings and how it is built. It's up to the reader to decide for himself whether what they are looking at is legit or not. Generally, the things I write about are not in dispute. Almost always, I'm photographing is 100% guaranteed original and there are no questions about its authenticity. Unfortunately, that is no longer cut and dry with WWII German items. To be frank, I don't really care one way or the other. If it turns out to be fake, then you know what to look for. If it turns out to be real, then you know what to look for. For me, it's very simple. I just document what's in front of me. You then use the information how you want. One thing's for sure, the MAIN focus of the book is a Steyr built MP44 made in the final days of the war and completely matching. That part, at least, beyond dispute. Here is one example of my work so that you know what to expect:

http://luger.gunboards.com/showthread.php?23660-Some-detailed-Jager-pictures

thanks for posting this and replying to my pm,, I too have one, look forward to the essay

Thank you Wilhelm, outstanding piece and I look forward to seeing more. I think setting forth the controversial nature of the sling on the front end is intellectually honest and encourages healthy debate on the matter. Thanks again for posting.
Regards,
Hambone

Thanks!

BTW, I've received a fair amount of PM's on the various forums I post on asking me certain things as if I own this. The only thing I own in the picture is the Leibermuster tent section. I'm just taking pictures and am VERY grateful to the owner for allowing me access to his rifle for the work. :thumbsup:

Military Rifle Journal
Back