Third Party Press

Warsend shooters kit vs Apfeltor

I realize this is an older post... I have an Apfeltor kit (well, just bought one today). Is the G-43 spring kit from Sarco a good deal?

It comes with some springs - but only those for the gas system. I paid for it yesterday ($250 now with shipping) and this was part of the email from him:

The shooters kit now includes the following:

Adjustable Gas Piston (with gas ports, Allen Wrench and instructions)
Recoil Spring Set Total of three springs
New Gas Cylinder
2 ea. Shims

These parts are made from 4140 steel; chromium - molybdenum pre-hardened at 26-32 HRC. Tolerances are generally within .0005 on mating surfaces. The orifices within the piston, clearance between the piston and the id of the cylinder and tension of the return springs have been matched for trouble free operation that has been field tested for ten years.

The one from Sarco is only $15 and includes:

1 front recoil spring
1 hammer torsion spring
1 rear recoil spring
1 trigger torsion spring
1 gas piston spring
1 safety plunger spring
1 mag catch spring

Yeah, I don't bother swapping hammer springs etc. unless there's an issue affecting reliability. Recoil springs are necessary because you don't want the rifle beating itself to death even after the shooter's kit, but the rest is just replace as needed.

For the life of me, I cannot unscrew the existing piston from my G43. Is there some trick to it? Do I need to use some liquid wrench or PB Blaster and let it soak?

For the life of me, I cannot unscrew the existing piston from my G43. Is there some trick to it? Do I need to use some liquid wrench or PB Blaster and let it soak?
Did you shoot it at all ? Mine sezied up because of corrosive ammo. Possible someone shot it before and left it ?

I have been able to unscrew but not separate the piston. Have had it soaking, but no realy way for it to penetrate.

Best of luck, I know keeping the gas block steady with a vice/clamp is important when trying to free the piston.

No issues at all separating the cylinder from the piston - not in the least; moves freely. However, trying to unscrew the piston from the gas block = no go. I tried to use a clamp to hold the gas block while I was using a LOT of force on a wrench to turn it, but it won't budge. Yes, I am screwing it off the correct way. I watched several videos on it to make sure.

PB Blaster on the piston threads and gas block?

Military Rifle Journal
Back