Third Party Press

Which Walther Model is this?

Absolut

I've never seen this model before, can anyone tell me which one it is? In these pictures it seems as if barrel and receiver are one part due to the rail that seems to contine through the two, the step between the two parts appear to be for optical reasons only.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg

7.jpg

Looks to be an earlier version of the Sportmodel set up to accept meisterbusche rear sight or optics. Attached is a photo of a Sportmodel with the same factory legend on the rear of the receiver roughly 9000 higher in serial number.

Attachments

• 71D9B1A3-3ADA-46D3-A061-264E355288B5.jpeg
    71D9B1A3-3ADA-46D3-A061-264E355288B5.jpeg
    91.6 KB · Views: 21
Have you seen this model before? I failed to find something comparable in Simpson's book.

All the commercial sport model was the sportmodell V typically says that on top of the barrel. Maybe the early version does not ? This is the early pattern receiver and bolt design

Believe there was a Model 3 and 4, but they were dropped in favor of the Model V circa 1936. There was an original flyer floating on the web describing these models, but can’t seem to find it. Perhaps they might be listed in an early Akah catalog.

I believe :
Model I and II : semi-auto with magazine.
Model III : single shot without safety
Model IV : single shot with safety (at the rear of the bolt but not flag Mauser type)
Model V : the one we are facing, 'small' bolt (similar to mauser pre 'B' serie's bolt, I would say)
Model 5 : 'big' bolt (similar to KKW or Anschütz 54 bolt's type, I would say)

Absolut,
On your rifle, do you have two notches on the rear sight?

i'll go with the walther model V. per photo id from the bruno guigues book, 145 german smallbore training rifles, page 126. the mod 5 is different, it does not have the dovetail for the scope/optics mounting.

It is not my rifle, I saw it in an online listing and was unable to identify it, hence I thought I would ask where the experts are at.

If you can pick the rifle up for a reasonable price, I would.

It is not a Model V.

I do not know what it is though....

TBH, .22 rifles are not my main interest, especially not commercial ones. But always keen to nevertheless learn, even if I don't own them, hence my question. It is listed on an auction site with starting bid of 550, what IMHO is too much for something you really don't know what you are looking at and if you are not collecting those.

i'll go with the walther model V. per photo id from the bruno guigues book, 145 german smallbore training rifles, page 126. the mod 5 is different, it does not have the dovetail for the scope/optics mounting.
I went through the BG's 145 smallbore
p126 : it is clearly the same rifle that BG names Mod. V
p127 : As already written same as p126 (except pistol grip not checkered, 0-200m rear sight, no 11mm rail) named, by BG, Mod. 5
p151 : Walther advertising document showing a Meisterbüchse, mechanicaly same as the one we are talking about. The stocks looks heavier with checkered pistol grip and cap, forend is not grooved but checkered.

Last edited:
Model V : the one we are facing, 'small' bolt (similar to mauser pre 'B' serie's bolt, I would say)
Model 5 : 'big' bolt (similar to KKW or Anschütz 54 bolt's type, I would say)
I’ve found information from catalogs is often contradictory or confusing. If I understand you correctly Walther made a model “V” which is the above rifle, then later made a Sport Modell 5, which they marked Sport Modell V.

That seems like a terrible marketing oversight.

I’ve found information from catalogs is often contradictory or confusing. If I understand you correctly Walther made a model “V” which is the above rifle, then later made a Sport Modell 5, which they marked Sport Modell V.

That seems like a terrible marketing oversight.
Fal Grunt,
Please note that on my post you are referring to, I started with "I believe"...
I underlined "marked" because I never said that (As I have no evidence on marking)
Model "V" is given to the above rifle by both Bruno Guiges and the French saler (who perhaps refers to BG Book, see below). I have no evidence that this name was given by Walther.
It is completely confusing, I agree.
I would advise you to find a 145 german small bore training rifles written by Bruno Guigues and read-buy it. It could be found as pretty expensive but even if there is not a lot of explanatory text there is a lot of really interesting pictures - I mean, as you are interested in such rifles, you will very often come back in trying to understand (or hopefully understand).

Fal Grunt,
Please note that on my post you are referring to, I started with "I believe"...
I underlined "marked" because I never said that (As I have no evidence on marking)
Model "V" is given to the above rifle by both Bruno Guiges and the French saler (who perhaps refers to BG Book, see below). I have no evidence that this name was given by Walther.
It is completely confusing, I agree.
I would advise you to find a 145 german small bore training rifles written by Bruno Guigues and read-buy it. It could be found as pretty expensive but even if there is not a lot of explanatory text there is a lot of really interesting pictures - I mean, as you are interested in such rifles, you will very often come back in trying to understand (or hopefully understand).
I wasn't trying to implying things you did not say, I was asking if I understood what you were saying correctly.

I wasn't trying to implying things you did not say, I was asking if I understood what you were saying correctly.
I wasn't trying to implying things you did not say

I never thought that you did or wanted to. Sorry English is not my mother's tongue
Cheers

Edit : find the book and then, if you want, come back to me

It is a model 3 or 4 that both used the earlier Walther bolt that featured a cut in the receiver to insert a cartridge. A later Walther design was patented that was the new bolt system used for all the Walther Sportmodell variations which had an open breech allowing total access to the breech. And the bolt system had the lever type safety.

Military Rifle Journal
Back