Third Party Press

Wolff 22 lb spring

ReiseReise

So I ordered a 22 lb spring for my K98 to be able to better handle my old Yugo ammo, and I was really surprised at how high the spring load felt: it's definitely snappier when you pull the trigger, but the effort to pull the trigger was quite a bit more than I was expecting. It sure left a bruise in my snap caps, so I have no doubt it'll work, but I was surprised at the trigger effort!

I also ordered a 24 lb spring at the same time, and although I did not install it, I at least compared the free length of the springs; the 22 lb was indeed a bit shorter, so I know it's not actually a 24 pounder. The gun's original spring was a fair bit shorter than the 22 pounder.

Does anyone else have some qualitative feedback regarding the increased trigger pull effort when using the 22 lb spring, such that I know mine is "right"?

Well Reise, as I think I posted on this discussion, it makes the trigger pull appreciably heavier as a result of the increased pressure of the sear contact. The only way to lighten the trigger pull is to polish the sear contact point to decrease the friction, making the surfaces slide easier to release, or lesson the power of the spring, which is accomplished by removing a coil at time. Some people have had luck with a standard weight issue spring, but a new one. Springs do lose tension over time.

So, you can shoot with this one for awhile and see if it lightens. Or, you can remove a bit at a time from the spring and fire for reliability and trigger pull. This is a big issue with double action revolver design: you can get a light trigger pull, but usually at the expense of reliable ignition of all primers. If you shoot Yugo 50s, you may find that you have to deal with heavier trigger pulls for reliable ignition. I wouldn't go polishing any sear surfaces unless you've done this and the parts aren't original.

Cheers,
HB

yes, indeed: polishing the sear surfaces can very often wear their hardening, originating an even bigger trouble_ said this, I have found a Czech sniper where this problem was solved not polishing the surfaces, but very slightly shortening (lowering) the trigger sear_ that may seems odd, but it works _on a spare/non original part, of course, this can be done, ( very judiciously ) working w. the flat face of a dremel carbide cutting wheel_ with a Wolff 30lbs.spring, the trigger pull was slightly more than 1,5 kilos, quite smooth and absolutely safe_ hope can help_

Well Reise, as I think I posted on this discussion, it makes the trigger pull appreciably heavier as a result of the increased pressure of the sear contact. The only way to lighten the trigger pull is to polish the sear contact point to decrease the friction, making the surfaces slide easier to release, or lesson the power of the spring, which is accomplished by removing a coil at time. Some people have had luck with a standard weight issue spring, but a new one. Springs do lose tension over time.

So, you can shoot with this one for awhile and see if it lightens. Or, you can remove a bit at a time from the spring and fire for reliability and trigger pull. This is a big issue with double action revolver design: you can get a light trigger pull, but usually at the expense of reliable ignition of all primers. If you shoot Yugo 50s, you may find that you have to deal with heavier trigger pulls for reliable ignition. I wouldn't go polishing any sear surfaces unless you've done this and the parts aren't original.

Cheers,
HB

HB, you said the 22 lb wouldn't affect trigger pull significantly, but the 24 lb would, that's what had me a bit confused. As long as what I'm feeling is normal, though, I'm okay with it.

HB, you said the 22 lb wouldn't affect trigger pull significantly, but the 24 lb would, that's what had me a bit confused. As long as what I'm feeling is normal, though, I'm okay with it.

"Significantly" I guess because I'm used to it. It increases it, a good bit, but not unusably so. You need a significant primer strike on that Yugo 50s. The primers are evidently hard, likely for full auto weapons, or as a result of age they are harder to detonate, or both. In any event, the only way to get a forceful primer strike is to either reduce the face area of the firing pin (which would weaken it; I do this on my 10/22s), or increase the strength of the spring. The latter is going to increase the trigger pull weight. It will smooth up a little and you will get used to it a little and you won't perceive it as heavy as you do now. Detonating that primer takes a 22 lb spring. You can cut off a half coil at a time until it gets lighter and still detonates the primers. Sorry if I wasn't clear about "significantly" or lead you to believe it wouldn't have a heavier pull.

"Significantly" I guess because I'm used to it. It increases it, a good bit, but not unusably so. You need a significant primer strike on that Yugo 50s. The primers are evidently hard, likely for full auto weapons, or as a result of age they are harder to detonate, or both. In any event, the only way to get a forceful primer strike is to either reduce the face area of the firing pin (which would weaken it; I do this on my 10/22s), or increase the strength of the spring. The latter is going to increase the trigger pull weight. It will smooth up a little and you will get used to it a little and you won't perceive it as heavy as you do now. Detonating that primer takes a 22 lb spring. You can cut off a half coil at a time until it gets lighter and still detonates the primers. Sorry if I wasn't clear about "significantly" or lead you to believe it wouldn't have a heavier pull.

No worries, just confirmation that it should feel heavier is good enough to ease my mind :biggrin1:. I'd rather have it a bit heavier and not have every second shot be a hangfire - the local club would probably start to wonder about me LOL!

Thanks for the clarification and help!

No worries, just confirmation that it should feel heavier is good enough to ease my mind :biggrin1:. I'd rather have it a bit heavier and not have every second shot be a hangfire - the local club would probably start to wonder about me LOL!

Thanks for the clarification and help!

The Wolff 22 lb should make that 50s Yugo close to 100% reliable first primer strike. That has been my experience. Good luck and let us know.

Military Rifle Journal
Back