Third Party Press

A new way of thinking about HK

mrfarb

No War Eagles For You!
Staff member
A new way of thinking by RyanE that is, in the world of Krieghoff Lugers. In his ongoing research about the Luftwaffe depot system, Ryan has discovered some new documents and created some new ways of thinking. I've created this forum because a new anomoly has been spotted in the wild by our very own RyanE, who dares talk about it in the open.

"Houston, we have a problem."

Lets talk about it and see what the problem is. I could post it, but I think it would be nicer for RyanE to begin the discussion.

I'm sure the majority of those here don't collect HK Lugers, but the research is important for the Buetewaffen Book and as a general rule of "Interdisciplinary Study" which I feel is a requirement for a good 98k collector. Its all connected, never forget. Did I say "Beutewaffen Book"? Sorry, I meant just looking around at some different stuff.

This is the intersection of collecting styles. It used to be that one relied on their personal experience to make judgment calls on the object (in this case a luger) in front of them. Over time, the more lugers they looked at, the more trends they noticed and rules were created. We have the internet and primary German WW2 sources available now that they never had access to. Many of us here heavily research not only trends but the primary source documents that will give us concrete answers. It also helps to take a multi disciplinary approach to collecting over being laser focused on one area. Understanding overall trends and how things operated as an organization is extremely helpful. As usual, there is a lot of money tied up in this as well. HKs are expensive and this could be a champagne rune level of $$$.

The issue with the "old way" is that there were many enterprising individuals that probably took advantage of the lack of real knowledge. There are now fakes in the luger dogma that have existed for 50 plus years. That makes it tough to break old habits and old information.

I hope that Ryan gets access to the most up to date list HK list so he can see the trends in the later guns. As we see in our K98 world, using both the trends and documentation leads to finding the truth.

I'll try to organize my thoughts and write something up this weekend. It's mostly just observations, so don't get too excited...

Interdisciplinary approach to research and collecting. Couldn't agree more. Looking forward to what Ryan has been working on .....

Personally this kind of thinking and key researching are extremely important to the hobby. As others have stated there were flaws in this collecting field from the beginning, but for some reason they have pushed aside. If anyone here would bring this up on the Luger forums you would be shunned those older collectors don't want to hear it. The big why question? I have alot of money invested in this pieces and being told all the ones I own could just be complete fakes is probably sickening. I'll be honest I'm pretty excited to see what Ryan has to post. And Ryan I have being doing my own research and digging myself if I come across anything interesting I will let you know.

Military Rifle Journal
Back