Third Party Press

Capture Piles

Some new ones to add:

57th fighter group italy.jpg
Villafranca Italy April 1945
57th Fighter Group - Jim Hare and two of movie man Wyler's camera men, finding us a souvenir

Grenades and ammo.jpg

187.jpg
Asst. Gunner John Deriggi with a Czech VZ24 & Asst. Driver Homer Davis in front of their M-26 Pershing tank in Cologne, Germany as part of the 32nd Medium Tank Battalion, Third Armored Division, Spearhead.

188.jpg
Members of the 101st Airborne. l-r: Forrest Guth, Floyd Talbert, John Eubanks, unknown, Francis Mellet on D Day. With a captured German helmet and rifle (VZ24?).

189.jpg
Canadian with a German Mauser rifle examining a captured German 7.92-mm MG 08, Nieuport, Belgium.

190.jpg
Two soldiers pose with an assortment of captured German guns, including an StG44, a G41, two K98s, and a P.38.

191.jpg
Private First Class Alvin Glascock with an StG-44 (MP-43/1).

192.jpg
British paratroopers search German POWs brought onboard a warship on the day of the Normandy landings, June 6, 1944. Note the para on the left; he has “confiscated” a German rifle and carries a Short Magazine Lee-Enfield Mk I (Model 1903). Note how the Nazi eagle (Hoheitsabzeichen) has been ripped from above the left (his right) pocket of the POW on the right. Looks like someone got another souvenir.

193.jpg
Two American soldiers examining an StG-44 (MP43).

194.png
Cpl. Ralph H. Green holding a DUV G43 he picked up in 1945.

195.jpg
American soldier breaking a K98 and MG-34. Note the buttstock at the bottom right.

Interesting in that all the 98k I can see still have their bolts. I more and more seem to think the bolt mismatch on bringbacks occur after Joe takes possession. Maybe on the boat back?

Interesting in that all the 98k I can see still have their bolts. I more and more seem to think the bolt mismatch on bringbacks occur after Joe takes possession. Maybe on the boat back?

Rumor was they didn't want Germans counter attack and take over the captured rifles, Well that's how k98 increased went up in price. lol

196.jpg
Sailor by the name of Hy on the U.S.S. LST-279 with his bring back.

197.jpg
One of Hy’s friends on the U.S.S. LST-279 posing with the same K98 from the previous photo.

198.jpg
Hy’s “sack” (sleeping quarters) on board the U.S.S. LST-279. Note the K98 hanging on the wall in the background.

199.jpg
Two soldiers playing around on what seems to be the deck of a ship with a captured German rifle, helmet and two pistols.

200.jpg
Ted Doyle, a Royal Canadian Navy Volunteer Reserve (RCNVR) Radar Operator on the HMCS Iroquois G89, wearing a souvenir German uniform and carrying a ????

201.jpg
Vet's Son:
My dad served with the 82nd Airborne in WWII, and sent home an enormous batch of trophies, as seen in this photo taken on the front porch of our family farm after the war. Many of these guns, flags and uniforms were loaned to a museum in Fernandina Beach, Florida, and went astray. We were able to recover a few of them in the early 1970s and the automatic-weapon stamps from the ATF cost us a fortune; I believe it was $500 per gun. You should have seen it when the Naples police chief, my mom, two of my friends and I carried this stash of weapons into the Bank of Naples to store in their safety deposit vault! They were all sold long ago, except for a Walther PPK I kept. My dad even brought back that dog in the photo; her name was Beulah.

(How He Did It)
The one time my dad mentioned these souvenirs, he said that he was assigned, in Berlin, to check packages going home to make certain they only had one firearm or weapon per package in them. He didn’t have orders as to what to do with the extra firearms he’d find, so he kept them and would disassemble them. Then he’d send a stash of gun parts in each box home; there evidently wasn’t a restriction on sending parts of a weapon. Of course, how he got the dog back is another story; never heard that one!!!

This one was already posted on this thread, but here is the original caption with it:

hgdivision.jpg

Some new ones to add:

View attachment 125549
57th Fighter Group - Jim Hare and two of movie man Wyler's camera men, finding us a souvenir

View attachment 125550

View attachment 125551
Asst. Gunner John Deriggi with a Czech VZ24 & Asst. Driver Homer Davis in front of their M-26 Pershing tank in Cologne, Germany as part of the 32nd Medium Tank Battalion, Third Armored Division, Spearhead.

View attachment 125552
Members of the 101st Airborne. l-r: Forrest Guth, Floyd Talbert, John Eubanks, unknown, Francis Mellet on D Day. With a captured German helmet and rifle (VZ24?).

View attachment 125553
Canadian with a German Mauser rifle examining a captured German 7.92-mm MG 08, Nieuport, Belgium.

View attachment 125554
Two soldiers pose with an assortment of captured German guns, including an StG44, a G41, two K98s, and a P.38.

View attachment 125555
Private First Class Alvin Glascock with an StG-44 (MP-43/1).

View attachment 125556
British paratroopers search German POWs brought onboard a warship on the day of the Normandy landings, June 6, 1944. Note the para on the left; he has “confiscated” a German rifle and carries a Short Magazine Lee-Enfield Mk I (Model 1903). Note how the Nazi eagle (Hoheitsabzeichen) has been ripped from above the left (his right) pocket of the POW on the right. Looks like someone got another souvenir.

View attachment 125557
Two American soldiers examining an StG-44 (MP43).

View attachment 125558
Cpl. Ralph H. Green holding a DUV G43 he picked up in 1945.

View attachment 125559
American soldier breaking a K98 and MG-34. Note the buttstock at the bottom right.
Really cool pics you find, third pic down looks like a burned out Panther.

I remember the photos of the Sailor by the name of Hy on the U.S.S. LST-279 with his bring back. That rifle and those pictures with his Navy ID tag came up for sale on gunbroker a few years back. Who every bought that rifle got their selves a very interesting piece.

It's not a capture pile per se, but it is a hell of a lot of rifles and helmets stacked real neatly. If I could go back in time, I would capture them all.

rest1.jpg

resr.jpg

Military Rifle Journal
Back