Third Party Press

Capture Piles

Not a photo or directly relevant to capture piles at the end of the war, but here's an interesting Intell brief from October 1943 regarding the scavenging of souvenirs from active AO's:
http://www.lonesentry.com/articles/souvenir-hunters/index.html

Apparently this problem remained, as it was addressed again later:
http://www.lonesentry.com/articles/souvenir/index.html

The emphasis is on the collection of enemy materiel of any kind for intelligence value, and is also something likely that troops would have been verbally told or directed not to do through their CoC all the way to the end of the war.

Pat

Last edited:
How many unloaded pistols have gone off ?

Attachments

• Hitlers+Revenge1198778954.jpg
    Hitlers+Revenge1198778954.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 99
Here's one I like. this guy almost doesn't look bright enough to know which end the bullets come out...

Hope he brought it back. 1st mod fg42

Attachments

• gi w.fg42.jpg
    gi w.fg42.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 170
Interesting that the bolts are back on both of the Mp/stgs. Recoil spring removed?

Also, the Mg42 is covered with 1919 cloth belts.

It really appears they grabbed some captured "stuff" and posed this picture. Helmets look brand new, throw in some drum mag's, StG's that may have been temporarily deactivated and the final touch - the waistband Luger to the balls.

It's a classic!

It appears the bolts have actually been removed prior to destroying these and pics of bolts removed from rifles in capture piles are rare. Is that one in his hand?

267.jpg

It appears the bolts have actually been removed prior to destroying these and pics of bolts removed from rifles in capture piles are rare. Is that one in his hand?

View attachment 150268

Great pic! There are some K98k buttstocks broken off at the wrist. Looks like effort was made to "deactive" stuff in that pile. I vote salami ;)

The rifles broken at the wrist with no bolts, reminds me of my neighbor growing up. Mr John Peck, a true WWII vet and hero who gave me my gun safety class and introduced me to WWII weapons. He had stated when the Germans were overcame or surrendered they would take the bolts from the rifles, throw them far and then break the rifle stocks at the wrist by swinging the by the end of the barrel hitting the butt stock on a hard object. He noted this was because they had to press on and leave them behind. He had an awesome collection that was in the family room, all displayed in the typical glass gun cabinets to be admired by all. I was pretty young and he refrained from some of the more graphic war stories. A great man that I wished I had spent more time with. He and his whole family were the very best of neighbors.

My only surrender pile photo. I believe it’s early war. RyanE thought maybe Polish campaign based on the mosins that could be 8mm.....

Military Rifle Journal
Back