Third Party Press

I was just given an April 1940+ Gustloff KKW!!

Hey! Glad to be here!
I'm a construction superintendent and spotted a rifle in a guy's garage. I said it looked like a K98 Mauser. Guy, 80 years old, got a ladder for my to fetch it off the cabinet top. Said his uncle brought it back from WWII in '45. I saw the small loading port and knew it was a trainer 22. I started talking about it to him, and he said, "you can have it." I said "what?" He said it again. I said thank you, sir, and put it in my truck.
Then when I got home I looked it up and, holy cow! This is a big deal!
Anyway, I've been active of RFC for a while, and I love rimfires, and then this happens! So I join up here.
I don't know how it happens to be missing its extractor and rear action screw, but that seems to be the case. It's got its original strap, albeit dry rotted and broken but the buckles and snaps are ready for new leather, and cleaning rod, plus this cool sticker, probably from the armory. Looks like rack and position number to me.
Also, a don't know how ejection happens, because I see no kicker rod like most bolt 22's have. If y'all can help me figure out how to get this thing running, I'd I'd sure appreciate it.
Oh, I say April 1940 because it has the Eagle N proof on both barrel and receiver

Pix:

Attachments

• 20231220_161836.jpg
    20231220_161836.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 95
  • 20231220_162147.jpg
    20231220_162147.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 101
  • 20231220_161738.jpg
    20231220_161738.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 102
  • 20231220_161729.jpg
    20231220_161729.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 98
Congratulations! That’s wonderful.
Just oil the metal and don’t do anything to the wood. Clean the bore. Please don’t use any heavy handed rust removal procedures.

Thank you for your kind tips! So, don't use Frontier Big 45 to get the surface rust off, you think?
Also, I figured out the ejector - - it's present. This is a lesson to me, again, to know the facts before speaking.
That sticker is sort of a gun club, but a little deeper I think. An 80 plus year old sticker!
You guys know where I can find an extractor and an action screw? I'm thinking these should not be to awful hard to come by.

I admire that, but sadly for me I think my first human instinct would be to get the heck out of there in case the guy changed his mind. :oops:

Thank you for your kind tips! So, don't use Frontier Big 45 to get the surface rust off, you think?
Also, I figured out the ejector - - it's present. This is a lesson to me, again, to know the facts before speaking.
That sticker is sort of a gun club, but a little deeper I think. An 80 plus year old sticker!
You guys know where I can find an extractor and an action screw? I'm thinking these should not be to awful hard to come by.
The screws are a standard metric size and thread, any decent hardware or auto parts store should have them, though I can't remember which one it is, so if you have a lathe it's fairly easy to turn the head to the correct shape and cut them to length. I've made my own by turning them in a handrill, shaping the head with a file and cutting the slot with a thinned down hacksaw blade. You may have to search awhile for the extractor. The French MAS 45 Rifle has the exact same action and bolt which may increase your chances of finding one. It's not impossible to have one made, but that's your last resort.

Last edited:
Standschützenverband Tirol-Vorarlberg is the following organization of the Tiroler Standschützenverband, the one that had the Mauser 8.15x46R target rifles as well. Simplified, it is the shooting club of Tyrolia in Austria, later of Tyrolia and Vorarlberg. There is a German book on the history of this shooting club from 1938 to 1945, a some more (German) information is also to be found on this website here: https://www.tiroler-schuetzen.at/php/die_tiroler_schuetzen_in_der_nszeit_1938__1945,427,30871.html . If you use Google Translator you should be able to understand more of it.

Hauptschießstand means "main shooting range". I assume they had more shooting ranges, so the sticker would identify the rifle as belonging to their main shooting range. Not really certain on what II over 33 would mean - I would assume it is some kind of inventory number, like rifle 2 of lane 33. But this is just a wild guess.

The screws are a standard metric size and thread, any decent hardware or auto parts store should have them, though I can't remember which one it is, so if you have a lathe it's fairly easy to turn the head to the correct shape and cut them to length. I've made my own by turning them in a handrill, shaping the head with a file and cutting the slot with a thinned down hacksaw blade. You may have to search awhile for the extractor. The French MAS 45 Rifle has the exact same action and bolt which may increase your chances of finding one. It's not impossible to have one made, but that's your last resort.
Can one of ya gimme the size and thread pitch of the action screw please?
Now this missing extractor, that's kind of a show stopper. Does anyone know if there is a diagram or photos of one out of the bolt? I don't understand how it fits, never having seen one before. There is no pin hole nor spring clip, so the spring must fit under the back end of the extractor? What fastens the extractor into place? Where on God's green earth am I going to find one??
Thx, bros.

Standschützenverband Tirol-Vorarlberg is the following organization of the Tiroler Standschützenverband, the one that had the Mauser 8.15x46R target rifles as well. Simplified, it is the shooting club of Tyrolia in Austria, later of Tyrolia and Vorarlberg. There is a German book on the history of this shooting club from 1938 to 1945, a some more (German) information is also to be found on this website here: https://www.tiroler-schuetzen.at/php/die_tiroler_schuetzen_in_der_nszeit_1938__1945,427,30871.html . If you use Google Translator you should be able to understand more of it.

Hauptschießstand means "main shooting range". I assume they had more shooting ranges, so the sticker would identify the rifle as belonging to their main shooting range. Not really certain on what II over 33 would mean - I would assume it is some kind of inventory number, like rifle 2 of lane 33. But this is just a wild guess.
That is super info! Thank you heartily!

My wild guess was, rack 2, position 33.

Most here agree using oil and bronze wool with light pressure will remove surface rust. Ballistol is a good product.

Now this missing extractor, that's kind of a show stopper. Does anyone know if there is a diagram or photos of one out of the bolt? I don't understand how it fits, never having seen one before. There is no pin hole nor spring clip, so the spring must fit under the back end of the extractor? What fastens the extractor into place? Where on God's green earth am I going to find one??
Thx, bros.
I don’t know the pitch of the action screw, but be prepared for it to be something ‘unusual’, the pitch of model 98 action screws is 1/4-22!
not metric, not standard inch pitches like 1/4-20 or 1/4-28. dunno why this is, but it’s typical pf the firearms industry.

I'm pretty sure the thread is M6x1 which translates to a 6 millimeter diameter shank with threads that are 1 millimeter apart. Take your existing screw out, take it with you to the hardware store and compare it to the M6x1 . Buy the hexagonal head bolts so you have enough meat left to turn the head down and put a slot in it and don't loose your one original screw. :) :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Thx, bros.
Here's a link that'll show you a show you a photo of the extractor and tell you how to install and remove it. https://www.gunboards.com/search/498174/?q=kkw+extractor&o=relevance

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back