Third Party Press

New to forum, new to Mauser: byf 43

It's no secret I'm not a huge fan. Tries to flip for significant profit but that's not really what bugs me. Tends to really stretch the truth in descriptions yet routinely 'forgets' to mention important detractors and not show them. I'd say misleading in the least. Not with every offering of course but often enough to be a trend.
Pics up, care to take a look?

I like these new pictures of the poultry on the stock, they are certainly the correct style of waffs for this rifle, however they seem almost too nice to be true given the condition of the rest of the stock. The problem is that you can buy these stamps from the Waffenamt shop and I have two friends that have sets of these original stamps, so they could be restruck, and yet I'm not comfortable putting the "kiss of death" on such a nice rifle without examining it. in person under magnification. You could do this yourself by using a magnifying glass and. comparing this "cluckenamt" to originals on the "picture reference index. I'm curious to hear what the real experts say. So my take on it is, if nobody can tell the difference, it's all real. And so again, I'd love to be wrong and probably am. This is sure a good lesson that there's alot to look out for when you're buying on the net.

Highest regards, (y) :)

Last edited:
Thank you sir! Tried very hard as a newbie to do my homework. First piece was a freebie enfield No. 4 where numbers and markings are everything too, though not to THIS level...lol.

FYI $1100. I figure this is the full disclosure site for people who actually care about this stuff and I'm not in it to make a buck.

Not pictured....1863 springfield from a trip to Maine.

Attachments

• 20210804_153153.jpg
    20210804_153153.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 14
The rifle was sold by Commonwealth in 2017, nothing altered since (so far as these pictures go); I see nothing especially worrisome but the pictures back then were not as good as they do today and these pictures are worse. The rifle trends well and the markings look good, though humpers have better tools today than ever and it is little things that matter.

When you get it take it outside in the shade and take good pictures, disassemble the stock (handguard matched and is original for sure - which lends some probability to the stock which follows normal trends), but my bet is this rifle is good technically. Maybe some finish issues, some abuse (RB had some marring, finish looks like poor storage, front sight some damage) but nothing unusual from the 2017 pictures. Unfortunately I did not save the text of the auction so do not know what it sold for...
Pics up

I like these new pictures of the poultry on the stock, they are certainly the correct style of waffs for this rifle, however they seem almost too nice to be true given the condition of the rest of the stock. The problem is that you can buy these stamps from the Waffenamt shop and I have two friends that have sets of these original stamps, so they could be restruck, and yet I'm not comfortable putting the "kiss of death" on such a nice rifle without examining it. in person under magnification. You could do this yourself by using a magnifying glass and. comparing this "cluckenamt" to originals on the "picture reference index. I'm curious to hear what the real experts say. So my take on it is, if nobody can tell the difference, it's all real. And so again, I'd love to be wrong and probably am. This is sure a good lesson that there's alot to look out for when you're buying on the net.

Attachments

• 20210805_184126.jpg
    20210805_184126.jpg
    538.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210805_184028.jpg
    20210805_184028.jpg
    481.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210805_183958.jpg
    20210805_183958.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 18
Fabrique Nationale specifically and Liege more generally. There's a good chance your bolt body is also supplied by them. Check the bottom of the bolt root.
The only marking on the bolt body (now that I finally broke it down) other than the serial, is a small "p" on the underside of the handle near the root.

Evening Sir,
Having done a fair amount of cross referencing from the library here and across other sites. I can't discern a difference between the stamping on my rie and vetted examples. Obviously I'm biased to hope it's legit, but I'm also a healthy skeptic. I'm a total novice but even I can find any number of obvious humps on common seller sites so the concern is rightly valid. I do note, however, that in virtually all other respects it appears honest and if one takes into account that the area inclusive of the stamp is the most original in regard to wear and finish, it might have survived relatively intact. I also note other laminate stampings are also pretty sharp, albeit on far less "crunchy" firearms.

No one else has commented so I guess I have to ask if I've already committed some cardinal collector sin.

Your feedback as a senior member has been greatly appreciated.

I don't think it's fake either. There are some subtle things about it that make me think it's good.

Very nice Tooele, I also just purchased a BYF 43. Should arrive later this week
Thank you,
Took a gamble. I have to admit I'm really partial to survivors. The ones that have been there, done that and somehow made it this far ;) . In this example I can see where the knuckle wore in the stock from working the bolt, as an example

Very nice Tooele, I also just purchased a BYF 43. Should arrive later this week
OK, so next on the list are two....

1. A Norwegian Capture just for the family history sake. I have shrapnel pieces and a painting with a frame damaged by it that my mother saved resulting from attacks on Stavanger where she lived in 1940 as a teen. Two uncles in the resistance during the occupation. Officers were quartered in her home.

2. Something in the '35-'39 range because of the gothic stampings and careful machining. The artistry in the dies to make those markings along with the careful machining and the end result on a rifle really appeal to me. As far as I'm concerned, it's a form of art. Form following function but aesthetically awesome. AK98 with it's bayonet looks just beautifully MEAN down to the sharp directional laminated pattern (wouldn't frown on a solid hardwood either ;) lol)

Military Rifle Journal
Back